First year done...

Discussion in 'Prime' started by darthanubis, Aug 18, 2016.

1. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Sounds like it sucks. But they claim you make $1.80/mile, but you are straight O/O trying to cover cost with less than $2/mile.

lcfd15 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    You can't always listen to that. I was also told that with such little experience I wouldn't be able to ever find a job with awesome home time and such good pay.... well I proved them wrong.

The only draw back was the wait period after I submitted my application. It took them about 5 weeks to contact me, but than again I never followed up. I just submitted it and left it at that. They do require 1 yr experience and all endorsements because we do ship a lot of hazmat and bins of liquids.

If you do submit your application go in to the terminal and do a face to face with the TM there. I am telling you now all of the TM's that I met up here in the Cincinnati region said that is the best way to get your foot in the door.

They will put you at the top of the list. Good luck with everything and if you get on, after 10 yrs they cover 100% of all medical premiums as well.

FullMetalJacket and darthanubis Thank this.
  4. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    @darthanubis

I think I have maybe two years on you (experience wise). I too started with a great company. But like you got jaded to being OTR.

My advice is if you're jaded to OTR don't settle for OTR lite because you'll get jaded quick. At least I did.

I see you're looking at local good choice.

I didn't go local I bought my own truck. I enjoy the freedom. But I did something I have not done in six months. I got stuck doing a restart on the road.

It was no ones fault just delays by shipper
    and receiver. Missed my load home and got a load with to much time instead. It happens its trucking.

I've prob posted more today in truckers report then I have all year lol.

Anyways don't settle. Local is going to heat up for the holidays good time to get on somewhere.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  5. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    They rebroker loads, which is supposed to be illegal.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  6. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    I can't thank you enough. I'll start on my endorsements now!

FullMetalJacket and lcfd15 Thank this.
  7. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    What do you mean OTR lite?

8. lcfd15

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I would think that maybe he is referring to regional home weekly gigs. Like averitt.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    Are you home enough to actually live a life and not just sleep? You know, personal time? Going to the gym, dating your girl, riding your motorcycle, playing your PlayStation?

10. lcfd15

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Me, myself I am working about 40-45 hrs a week with a gross of over 900 each week..... I have time... to much if you ask me lol.

The weekly regional your home for about 34 hr reset and back out, some girl e you a full 48. Some places you can get a weekly home on 34 on weekends and through the house a couple times a week. It just depends on freight, what trucking company, and all that

darthanubis Thanks this.
  11. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX

What he said and home weekly or weekends you still get delayed by shipper/receivers and I generally fought with myself, should I get a weekend load or just deal with the crummy check.

OTR you're generally getting a wknd load and can make up for a crummy one during the wknd.

OTR Lite is home weekends but when trucking happens you have to pick home time or decent paycheck.

I'm not saying it's a bad problem to have but it gets old having to choose to have a life or a paycheck to enjoy life.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.