Flannel sheet set in sleeper makes all the difference

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Diantane, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    When it started to get cold I switched to flannel sheets. What a difference from last winter! Last night it was 20 degrees F in Ohio and 52 in the sleeper. Didn't bother turning on the bunk heater. No need to run the tractor engine. It was 95.8 degrees under the blankets. Above the flannel flat sheet I have a thick blanket and a comforter. Had to remove the comfoter because it got too hot. Let out the "steam" for a few seconds... lol.

In the morning before I get up, I switch on the bunk heater and turn it up to 93. Let it run at full while I get dressed and eat breakfast. Even open up the divider curtain to take the chill off the cab and defrost all the glass.

Flashdrive7, IluvCATS, pattyj and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The bunk heater only uses a few cups of fuel to keep the truck warm,
    Unless you sleep with your head under the blankets breathing in your breath you’re breathing in really cold air.
    That can’t be good for you.
    I say fire the bunk heater up and be comfortable.

BoostedTeg, IluvCATS, mitmaks and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Agree with both of you, I love my flannel sheets, but that bunk heater runs.

Tb0n3, gentleroger and bzinger Thank this.
  5. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    I for one, love sleeping in a cold environment. Home, I have a window unit in the bedroom because nobody else in the house likes it cold at night.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  6. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    I use a CPAP machine (apnea). So I get to pull the blankets over my head and breathe the cooler outside fresh air. I've always preferred a cooler sleep area. Having the bunk heater at a higher setting (72) while watching TV or on my computer is okay, but I turn it down or off when I go to sleep.

Jazz1 and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They're okay for a short little while, until they start pilling real bad. Then, it's like sleeping inside a burlap potatoe sack

Eowyn Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that''s why i liked my sleeping bag. no need for any sheets. and i still ran the heater. i hated waking up to a cold cab.

9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    If it gets below 40F I turn on bunk heater, otherwise its plenty warm with 2 blankets Ive got

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    My bunk heater sometimes makes it too hot. So I also like a window cracked. I mostly just crack the upper wing windows. But I’m also looking for something more to do for that super important deep sleep. So I will get a flannel sheet and try that.

11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Flannel sheets are the bomb. Never use em in the truck though. Thats what the heater is for. I'd freeze to death the way some of yall operate lol

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.