Flatbed & Trailer Questions for... well... Flatbed Driver's

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by OnTheEdge, Jul 6, 2015.

1. OnTheEdge

OnTheEdge Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I am currently running Crude in S. Texas. I like being out of the truck and the extra little work so I'm looking into flatbed as I contemplate buying a truck.

Truck ?

1) Currently, I drive a 13 & 10 (slip seat) I don't like 10's at all. I am wondering the advantage of getting a 15 or 18 in a truck. Will a 13 be sufficient or should I look at an 18?

2) Gearing, been watching some videos & such on gearing. I understand figuring what speed you want to cruise at in order to find your best fuel range compared to HP & RPM, the question is when calculating your numbers should you use (in an 18 for example) 18 low as your loaded gear and 18 high as a cruise or OD gear? Would this help with fuel cost on your DH or Home runs?

3) What would be a good $ amount to figure when buying chains, binders and straps?

4) Other than the before mentioned what other item's and approx. cost should someone getting into flatbed consider?

Trailer?
    I see there are some limits to loads hauled based on trailer type. I am looking at a trailer like this;
    http://www.xlspecializedtrailer.com/commercial-trailers/XL-Slide-Axle-Slider-Trailer.aspx

Would this type of trailer provide more or less opportunities or is it a novelty item?

That's it for now Thank all of you who post and help us out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. catdriver7r

catdriver7r Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    hot springs, ar
    I just did what you are considering. .I went with a used Melton truck 10 speed...had the same concerns about 10 vs 13 speed but you where prolly running around at max weight and flat bedding you wont have to deal with that that often...it's geared 2:64 rear ends and a direct drive high gear so no prob getting good mpgs...I signed on with Mercer and thru their store I have about 2500 in chains and binders straps and tarps etc..the truck already had a headache rack so i didn't need to get one....as far as costs..I put 6 grand down on the truck and the aforementioned 2500 on equipment ..add in a couple grand incedentals.. (btw..i'm lease purchasing the flat from Mercer. .so no upfront costs there)..hope this helps..Mike

MSS and OnTheEdge Thank this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You don't need that trailer, unless you have a job for it. Expensive and heavy. Probably cost more than your truck

OnTheEdge Thanks this.
  5. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Listen to the. Old man

6. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    Prob should post this in the flat bed section and or O/O section. But to answer your question. I have a 18 and drive it like a 13 even when heavy. Only time I split low range was when I was off road going up a long winding hill loaded with about 70k on my back. So 18 is prob overkill unless you get a deal on one. As far as 10 vs 13 it's really just personal preference because either will work pulling a flat 80k gross. Like Old Man said unless you have specific work for that trailer you'll be wasting your money buying it on a hope and dream. For flatbed equipment, unless you're specifically leasing onto Mercer look to spend about $6000 for new for everything you'll need, but if you nickel and dime it would prob still cost $2500-$3500 for used stuff unless you get super lucky and somebody pretty much gives it to you.

7. OnTheEdge

Jun 25, 2012
    10-4 Trailer forgotten. .. moving on.

Big Thanks Mike.... that helps alot.
    So yeah we are loaded to the gills most of the time and a 10 just isn't any fun.

catdriver7r Thanks this.
  8. OnTheEdge

Jun 25, 2012
    I thought about that as I'm considering Mercer wanted to see if they require some specific stuff.

Thanks for the info I will stick with a 13 maybe try out a 15 just to see how I like them.

Really appreciate all the feed back.

catdriver7r Thanks this.
  9. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    Oh ok well if your coming to Mercer then $3000 tops for everything need with only half down will get you started. I always tell everybody I like 13 or 18 better then a 10 speed.

10. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    15 is a knuckle buster:p

11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Get more horsepower, the 15 is not good for fuel milage,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.