Food Delivery Robots does this make you worry

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Shackdaddy, May 20, 2022.

1. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    They already have automated yard dogs.
    All the human does is connect air line.

Shackdaddy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Robot trucks will never happen. It's already been talked about why.

How about this...robot dispatchers? Most dispatchers are useless anyway. Maybe have automated loads going to the driver?

tscottme and Shackdaddy Thank this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    It's was not Boeing, it was pilot who did not got trained properly on new MAX

The_vett and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yes. That's level 3.5 automation. To get to level 5 is not happening without infrastructure changes. And I've been dodging the same pot holes for 10 years.....

JoeyJunk, RockinChair and tscottme Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

50 years of automating commercial airliners has reduced the number of pilots on the flightdeck from 3 to 2. The road driving environment is FAR more complicated than airspace where oncoming traffic is at least 1,000 feet above/below and/or 3 miles away from you. The "landmarks" are electronically derived or produced by radio & satellite ground stations, and the area is monitored by "professional watchers" and communicating by two-way radio, and eventually something like text messages.

ALL of the hype about robot trucks comes from inventors and investors seeking to attract venture capitalists to fund someone's dream. You know, the same way we got flying cars and time travel.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    JoeyJunk, RockinChair, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  7. tscottme

It was Boeing, pilots relying on automation, and regulators relying on Boeing's claims about the aircraft. If the pilots knew they had a full-authority pitch command system they would have turned off that system much quicker during the malfunction. If the pilots, especially foreign pilots, had more hand flying experience they would have turned off the automation sooner. Lot's of foreign airline pilots have decades of watching the aircraft fly itself. If the regulators knew the MCAS had authority for the full travel of the elevator and it was relying on 1 sensor, it wouldn't have been certified.

I would never fly on an airline outside of the US, flag carriers of Europe & Japan. I worked for the 2nd largest flight school in the US and know how little experience entry level airline pilots have in Central & South America, Asia, Africa. I wouldn't even fly on Air France. I would fly US mainline carriers, Lufthansa, BA, Virgin, JAL, ANA, and Qantas. In much of the world the equivalent to someone just getting their CDL are flying airline passengers the next month. In the US, and elsewhere, you must have your "CDL" plus several YEARS, sometimes a decade of experience before you can carry airline passengers.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  8. tscottme

Automating dispatchers is far easier than driving on public roads inches from oncoming traffic. I suppose one could argue that load boards are a type of automated dispatcher, in that the driver selects the load, but that is still a human in the loop. Many of us have lived long enough to have heard lots of promises and seen how few are delivered. Maybe the younger people and the brand new to trucking types still believe everything they are told. They'll learn.

Shackdaddy Thanks this.
  9. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    In my view, companies can save a lot of money by getting rid of dispatch.
    It's a worthless and useless position.

Why not have an automated system for drivers to get loads?

The_vett and Shackdaddy Thank this.
  10. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Coco robots are more like drones. Controlled by a person remotely.

11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Because a lot drivers need to be babysat

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.