Freightliner Cascadia Front End Shaking Problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bunniecarrots, Aug 17, 2021.

1. bunniecarrots

bunniecarrots Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Hi,

I've run out of ideas and the problem has gotten worse. I've done the following:
    *Springs/bushings
    *Shocks
    *KingPins
    *Tie-rod ends
    *U-bolts
    *brakes
    *6 sets of steer tires in 3 years, current tires are michilean's-Jan 2020
    *Changed oil in hub
    *Sway bar
    *Countless alignments
    *High speed balance machine at peterbilt
    *I've had someone drive alongside the truck and they see the shaking

Description of problem: Front end shakes-BAD, sometimes it feels like it's bouncing all over the road, the steering is still loose. Nobody seems to know what is wrong with it, or see that there's something wrong. If anybody can help, it would be truly appreciated!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Bent wheel, bent hub(or bad hub from factory), bad hub bearings, bad pitman arm. With the engine running, rock the steering column (from under the hood) and look for any lost motion

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They have things that center the brake drums I believe. Because they could be off center. Their is ready show on satellite radio by guy with 30+ year experience in truck alignment. He will tell everyone a laser alignment is not good enough. When shops say it in spec and it good. They are wrong because factory spec is not good enough.

bunniecarrots and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    And if you didn't replace the brake drums when you had the brakes done, it might be an out of balance brake drum. I have had Freightliners from the factory with brake drums that their manufacturer didn't balance properly...and depending on how old of a truck, it may have lost a weight off the brake drum as well.

Dave_in_AZ and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. AndrewMYPY

AndrewMYPY Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Do you have autobalancing? If yes than that's probably a thing.

7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    You need to take it to a Freightliner shop that does in house alignments. They know your truck. Why did you put Michelins on it when it eats up steers every 50000 miles? I would find a reputable Freightliner shop for the alignment, not a TA or similar. Replace your shocks, balance the steers and most importantly take it back to the same shop if it continues. It sucks to throw money at a problem. It's always better when you can hold the same shop accountable.

8. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
  9. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    On a 2009 model cascadia I had bad shake and vibration almost from new after numerous alignments and many parts it turned out that the factory forgot the wear blocks that center bushings on back axle assemblies.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. bunniecarrots

Oct 4, 2009
    I took it to a suspension shop, says he checked all of that. Smh

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. bunniecarrots

Oct 4, 2009
    Thank you. I'm going to look into that. I have been using southern tire mart, and my suspension shop.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.