From England - To Con-Way

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Johnny_Reb, May 13, 2015.

1. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Nope and its in your contract.

Bold and underlined be on the look for it. I remember it well signing it in the midst of the peepee line. They try and sneak it thru without you noticing. Hurry up and sign these said the guy on speed....that dude was rediculous.

Those trips will cost you all day for no pay.

Now if you are loaded ala a San Antonio freight yard pickup and do the same trip you get "cartage pay". But they won't give it to you most of the time unless you whine at em. Make an issue of those.

You'll find in Kansas city you will get paid for 1 mile. Our tiny yard is in Missouri and say you go deliver in Kansas....scrreeeeewwweeedddddd
    Unloading tires to!!!

The old man in Joplin loooovvveeesss packing drivers in there and doing relays. Keeps them out of his face. Lol. I overheard the gossip when he was training the new girl....well not new now... But yeah she would bring the trucks to Joplin so the shop could do their thing now she's a clone.

Johnny_Reb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johnny_Reb

Johnny_Reb Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    Hmmm - That sounds rather fun.... Thanks for the heads up driver.. I will keep my eyes peeled - and hopefully not end up in the muck.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Cargo is right... They phrase it as "Same City" so you don't get paid anything going from say Houston to Houston... I once had to go from a Conway freight terminal in Houston to get an empty trailer which none where available so they had me go to the other side of Houston in rush hour traffic to another Conway Freight terminal to get an empty and I didn't get paid anything..Its BS but in the year I worked for them maybe happened 2 times... And Texas isn't bad but when you start working there you will understand what I mean by when you get in Texas you cant Leave Texas...

One good thing about the Lancaster, Texas yard for Conway truckload is they had a really good Soul Food place that would deliver food... Not sure if it is still available cause this was a few years ago but if you see a menu for them when your at the terminal I would recommend giving them a try... Good eats!!! The couple Chinese delivery places that would deliver to Lancaster I thought sucked...

Is going to Canada still a must for new hires? For me that was one of the selling points for me working for them... It was something different instead of seeing the same old thing time and time again...I enjoyed going to Canada the only negative was dealing with the US Customs when coming back to the US they almost always gave me a hard time...

Going from England to Conway is a good move for you... Good luck... .

paul_4lp and Johnny_Reb Thank this.
  5. Johnny_Reb

May 13, 2015
    Thanks I appreciate it - I currently do not have the TWIC card or HAZMAT but those are required within 120 days of hire I believe - and there is an incentive to go to Canada - guess I will have to see how it goes..

Thanks for the tips - excited to start Monday - nervous a little - but anything new can be that way.

CargoWahgo Thanks this.
  6. CargoWahgo

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Yup no problem. Always glad to help.
    I dont drive anymore. I went office space and am currently fulfilling my goal of doing nothing and doing what I feel like via Missouri taxpayers and the ocassional car sale...prob won't live long enough to get ss anyway from all the fumes. Its great son it great.

Honestly you won't want to go to Canada.... They are rebuilding the 401 next year in Ontario. Gonna be hell albeit.

But Quebec is an interesting time. Pretty wicked snowalls.

Don't be afraid to travel off the main road ethier just read the signs. Its pretty. Especially BC.

If you want to really get on the dudes nerves with more questions that he has to lie to you....

Askhim "hey what if I'm going down a road and there's construction and get detoured around for 8 miles?"

Answer:
    1 you must stop the truck on the street in front of the sign.
    2. Call and wait in line for your fleet manager.
    3. Ignore everyone you are blocking.
    4 write down every road you took and the exact mileage of detour.
    5 oh wait you haven't done it yet!!!
    6. ....oh wait you just realized your FM is not there today. Bonk!

....OK maybe its not like that.... But you'll see.....

Oh you'll see....

Real answer is you have to get all that info then call saying can I take this way?
    Its blocked off.....while you are in the dock delivering....but pretend it is in advance...only way you'll get paid.

Feel free to ocassionaly lie if you are feeling bitter and need a cheque pad that week lol...no really....do it.

There's many tricks that you will learn.

7. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    TWIC is required now? Sounds like we might be getting into the container biz?
    If you are going for Hazmat, get tanker too. There are some van loads that fall under tanker because of the size and quantity of liquid totes. I can think of a couple of places where I was way down on the board but got a load fast due to tanker requirement.

Welcome to Con-way dude.

I quit and rehired through Marion, nice guy there. My instructions were "everything was walking distance", didn't know they would pick us up at the hotel. It was below zero and I wandered over from the hotel on the first morning...they had never had anyone do that before! Even in good weather!

8. Johnny_Reb

May 13, 2015
    Sorry Rooster... I meant Passport not TWIC.. However they did recommend I get it...

Appreciate all the advice and welcomes.. Looking forward to it... Currently on the most awesome form of mass transit available..

Greyhound..... But at least I'm on my way..

Now the question is... What truck will the stick me in... Anxious to find out

9. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Betting a white one with blue stripes.

wulfman75 and paul_4lp Thank this.
  10. Trick or Treat

Trick or Treat Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Yep. That's the kind I ended up with.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  11. CargoWahgo

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Sad youll never have the opportunity to drive one of conways t600 red trucks with a cat engine live axle and a 13 speed.

No truck afterward came close to being as good.

Trick or Treat, paul_4lp and mitrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.