Front safety pins unlock

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by w.h.o, Aug 19, 2014.

1. wrongway<right

wrongway<right Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    hesperia,ca.
    pulled intermodal for a while and I always foun d trailers like that , if the pickups got a yarddog around make him fix it remember this it's not your load til you hook it and if you hook it it's your responsibility oh and as far as the pins popping out I always kept a coat hanger and wire dykes for pieces to wrap around and twist together easy to use and a lot stronger than zip ties

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I was at a customer yard so couldn't rub it, but that fifth wheel trick sounds like it might work. Semi retired your picture not working. I called outside help since I also had a door issue, end up grinding the top to fix the problem, thank for the inputs guys

4. wrongway<right

wrongway<right Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    hesperia,ca.
  5. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4195747]Something doesn't sound right. There is kind of a notch in the bottom of the container the chassis fits into. The box shouldn't slide off the chassis even if the pins aren't pushed in. It doesn't sound like the box is on the chassis right. The pins only secure the box from jumping out of the notch.[/QUOTE]

Your right the container has two notches that run along the bottom that hug the chassis when the container is put on it to keep it aligned. However after enough were and tear on the chassis the two notches can be perfectly aligned and the front pin/s can be out alignment anyway. Also even though the container does hug the chassis doesn't mean it's 100% perfect fit as there is some play in it. Also when we are saying the pin/s are out of alignment were talking about less than an inch...usually half an inch to 1/16 of inch (which really ****** you off) that it is out of alignment by. If it's out of alignment by 4 inches than yeah the container wasn't mounted on the chassis correctly and needs to be remounted and no tips or tricks we give on here for drivers to do is going to fix it. As far as what the pins are designed for they are designed to keep the container from flying off the chassis going around turns or if you happened to roll they keep the container from sliding away from the chassis potentially saving lives by not having the container come lose and hit a car killing everyone in it.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Cody, you are right. Once I picked up a container and the back ones that you turn and lock, one was in the lock position, and the yutz set it on the chassis anyway, with that back corner up. There was nothing I could do to turn that lock with the weight on it, and had to get a lift guy( no easy task) to pick it up so I could turn the lock.

7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    There is a trick you can do if the container is empty.

Take a steel tube (like the one you use to tightend the wheelnuts) ,
    it has to be the a certain lenght.
    Raise your suspension to full height(offcourse if you don't have the valves to raise and lower the suspension, you are f***** )
    Put the tube in the side eye off the containerblock and put a big piece off wood under it so the steel tube is nearly straight up,slightly jammed in the eye.
    Lower the suspension ,the container will move and be raised from the trailer but only on 1 corner.
    This might give you the inch you need.
    It is hard to explain in typed text but i hope you understand.

I have used this trick recently with a tankercontainer that had a bad support.(the result off a bad repair)
    The support would have damaged the trailer if i loaded it as is.
    I raised the rearcorners ,one at a time,put small wooden boards under it which raised the back off the tanker about 1/2 inch which kept my trailer damagefree.

ps if you can get a forklift to work with..............you can do a lot even if it is a small forklift.

8. drivernick141

drivernick141 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2014
    I hope you didn't take it if you couldn't fix it. I would have denied the equipment all together as chassis stink, which is why I left them. (

9. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4195849] View attachment 70601 That notch in the middle of the box is where the chassis rides. It really can't slide off the chassis.[/QUOTE]
    That's called the tunnel. Not a eay fix if it's loaded heavy, only a lift can move it. And I've tried a lot of things.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.