Garmin or Rand Mcnally ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tommymonza, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    There are 720s around that still work?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I have the TND740 and Garmin Dezl 770

The TND has routed me on non truck routes twice now. The garmin likes to make up random #### about weight limit restrictions on roads.

I use the Garmin and Google maps, but I always pre-plan my route and never blindly follow the gps.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I own the RM 730 and just sent it in for repairs for the 3rd time in 3 years. Bought it through Amazon and got the extended warranty. When it works I love it. I've also used the new Garmin, and while it's built much better than the RM, I like the software on the RM better. I just bought a new KW T680 and it has built in GPS on the dash touch screen. I used their system once before over a year ago and it worked pretty well. So I may use my RM until it breaks down again and then just use what came with the truck. I wish RM had to good sense to build better hardware because their software really is good. Somebody over there should realize that selling cheap hardware is going to be the downfall of their GPS systems.

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Sure. Mine still worked when I tossed it. However, once the maps get old enough with no updates, a GPS quickly becomes a brick, even if it still works.

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  6. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The RM I had was a brick even before it died. And I will never buy another. Don't update your Garmin, though. They no longer address highways by their route number. Idiots. At least give us a choice.
    Odd. I never had that issue with my deZl 770, but the IR 720 did it all the time.

7. SwishDawg

SwishDawg Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    I have the RM tablet. Its been nothing but problems. First the battery would die mid route. After some research found you must plug in 2 places. Even then you need quality charging cords. Or it will not stay charged, many reviews mention this and besides paid advertisers this model is a 1.5-2 star rated model . And bugs bugs bugs. And the routing is poor , very poor usually taking me 50+ miles further. Never tried Garmin, and my earlier RandMcrappy was not as bad . But RM has lost my trust.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The latest generation Dezl are absolutely stupid. No, they won’t route you onto non truck routes but they will do the stupidest things getting you to a location in a very easy spot to get to off an interstate. And it also regularly wants you to take exits and immediate re-entries in the middle of trips.

So new garmins are stupid and much slower to calculate. New Rands seem to have faulty hardware. What are we to do? Buy a TomTom heaven forbid?

I’ll keep my garmin. I know it’s stupid and will continue to do stupid things but it otherwise works. Wish I could go back to the units of yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  9. benjamin1988

benjamin1988 Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2020
    I have a Rand McNally 740 and Garmin 785 with built in dashcam, which you think is honestly better interface for directions?

10. benjamin1988

benjamin1988 Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2020
    I have a Rand McNally 740 and Garmin 785 with built in dashcam, which you think is honestly better interface for directions?

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Saying the same thing twice in a row is a sign of early senility.
    Or maybe it is that virus thing with a new symptom?

I'll stick with the RM 5 series.
    It does route things a bit wonky sometimes however.

No GPS system is perfect, and we should all realize that by now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.