Garmin Vs Rand McNally

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flgtrisk, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    If you decide to use the Rand McNally remember to set the route preference to either “avoid small roads” or “prefer freeways” you miss a turn or it reroute somehow that sumbe will try making you take some wacky backroads you never needed to take anywho.

ncmickey, WildTiger1990 and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
  4. Flgtrisk

Flgtrisk Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    Great information y’all!!!

I like to PAPER chart also :). But the GPS does make it easy!

Funny about the Hazzmat....just came into Atlanta and got the same warning!!!

GARMIN it is
    THANK YOU

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  5. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Garmin is king ... Rand is garbage.
    I’ve used both Garmin works great. If the Rand works it works very poorly

nredfor88 and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    With my personal experience so far.. while I do like Rands user interface, the maps have not been updated on the TND 740 since 2018.. and apperantly even the map updates themselves didn't correct everything. Yesterday along the way into Mckenzie, TN.. my randy mcnally tried to route me through a closed road.. and by closed I mean fenced off and nothing but grass beyond the fence.. so it's obvious that the road has been closed for several years but it missed the updates somehow. (The paticular road in question is Airport lane.)

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My RM works well but the lack of updates is showing.

Lpirtle Thanks this.
  8. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I’ve had mine since it came out. It still does good. I unplug mine everyday also. I’m not getting another until it dies.

9. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I only need the map feature. Every road I’ve ever needed is on RM. I only need to see the roads so I can determine where I’m turning. Sometimes it actually gets it right, but usually I have to do it myself.

Trucker T Thanks this.
  10. Trucker T

Trucker T Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I personally love the Rand but it’s 110% an opinion. Get one. In a year after it breaks ( and it will break) try the other. Then you’ll know which you like better.

11. The Big T

The Big T Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I also bought a new Rand 740 TND when my old one crapped the bed a couple months ago (540 model I believe). I had that one for many years and it served me pretty well. I like the new Rand but it takes a bit of getting used to being much more hi tech. So far it's been spot on going into hell holes like New Jersey. One thing I do like about it is that it updates when I bring it into the house and connect to my wi-fi. Even uploading where new road work is going on. No matter what still use an atlas or a phone and call shippers/recievers to verify the route you're taking is correct into hairy places. I mostly have enjoyed both units for a general heads up in direction, truck stop and rest area locations, and general time of arrival estimations. But I'm still too cheap to provide it with a hot spot from my phone to give it up to the minute weather and traffic that it's capable of .
    Overall I'm happy with the product.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.