General Knowledge Test for a non-reader

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by ekiriakidi, Jul 12, 2013.

1. ekiriakidi

ekiriakidi Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Hi,
    I am helping one of my students to prepare for the General Knowledge CDL test (class B). He can't read well so he will need to use the test on CD which is offered as an accommodation in New York state. What he doesn't know is how this actually works... and the DMV was not helpful in explaining it... So if anyone had an experience with taking the test on CD can you, please help us. We want to know if one can play back the questions/answer choices? How do you record your answers? Any information about taking the Knowledge test with this CD/audio reading accommodation would be really helpful to me and my student. Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I salute you for your willingness to help another person. If this person has very poor reading skills, they have little chance of making it in this field. They will get lost so often they will just give up. Sad but true.

allniter Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There are dozens of way to get into a serious jam as a trucker who doesn't have a good grasp on the English language.

allniter Thanks this.
  5. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Indeed, reading signs is a pretty big part of our job. Not sure why states allow people who can't read/speak english well enough to pass the written test to become CDL holders. No offense to you or the man wishing to take his test, but this is a safety issue we are talking about here so we gotta be kind of blunt about it.

allniter Thanks this.
  6. ekiriakidi

ekiriakidi Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Thank you for your replies, everybody. I understand your concerns but respectfully disagree... My student has been effectively (and safely) driving his personal car for many years. He also has excellent mechanical skills. His limitation is only in the area of fluency. I think he can be a successful truck driver. And apparently the state of New York agrees since they offer the reading accommodation for the knowledge test. Unfortunately they don't provide any details on how this actually works... That is why I am eliciting your help. Does anyone have experience with the test on CD?

7. dutchieinquebec

dutchieinquebec Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Granby.QC
    i can not help you with the test,sorry,
    but a friend of me in Holland is a Truckdriver for 35 years now and goes all over europe and can't read or write.

soo good luck.

ekiriakidi Thanks this.
  8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It goes beyond someone passing the test or getting lost because he can't read a sign. There are hundreds of rules and regulations people have to know plus whatever policy a company has in place. Can he fill out a logbook? Is he planning on hauling hazmat? No offence, DOT won't be sympathetic if you screwed up your load cause you can't read a segregation chart.

I am an immigrant myself so I know how much of a disadvantage it is when it comes to finding a job when you don't speak English. I also applaud you wanting to help out. On a professional level though, I think you are setting your student up for failure. It doesn't matter how good of a driver he is or how fast he can learn stuff. Trucking is one of the heaviest regulated industries. Hit the back button twice. There is an entire folder dedicated to Trucking Regulations with hundreds of open threads asking anything from hours of regulation, legal weight formulas, and hazmat questions. These questions are not asked by illiterates or people that don't speak English. There is a lot of confusion even amongst veteran drivers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Gearjammin' Penguin and allniter Thank this.
  9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The person applying for the test can ask for an oral exam. That is when some one at the Department of Motor Vehicles will talk out the test and wait for comprehension.

ekiriakidi Thanks this.
  10. Cantrucker

Cantrucker Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Just out of curiousity, are you planning on being with him when he 'reads' his B.O.L.'s, his instructions for loading, logbook, road signs, etc etc. Please don't help this student get his CDL, we have enuf seatwarmers on the road as it is.

road_runner Thanks this.
  11. Kalipsoe

Kalipsoe Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2022
    A lot of negativity from people on here about someone who can’t read and write plus obtaining their CDL, every one assumes the worst, not every one who gets their CDL will be driving over the road and dealing with such problems like your pointing out, there are a lot of people who can’t read and drive trucks locally in the area they live and know, Dump Truck, dumpster haulers, log trucks, and school bus drivers, there are city jobs like the street dept, water dept. And sanitation also yard jockeys. stop giving your over the road advice, he ask for help on what’s available for him to take the test, I know a lot of truck drivers who can read but can’t drive worth a crap, I know a lot of drivers with no education and can drive a truck and back it anywhere you want it, good luck to you and your friend, I hope you find you answer, but I doubt you will find it on a forum where negative drivers give feedback

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.