Generator side box

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Elroythekid, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I'm going to run another muffler or at least a pipe up and out.
    The predators and honda generators are MUCH quieter than any reefer or APU I've ever had the pleasure of parking next to...

flood, bzinger, cjb logistics and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    3500 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator

This is rated at 57db. I was more worried about exhaust gases bothering my neighbors than noise.

magoo68 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    https://www.amazon.ca/Champion-4000-Watt-Digital-Inverter-Technology/dp/B01M3R711N

I like this generator also, if the tank is metal it would be easy to cut and weld in a center section and make it much larger so you dont have to run an aux tank. I have a guy who does motorcycle tanks for me, he says it would be easy, cosmetics aren't a real concern so it doesn't have to be "show quality", he can knock something like that out in a few hours. I've heard the aux tanks can be problematic. Not sure how quiet they are, haven't done enough home work yet. Finding the box would seem to be the first thing, then see what gen will fit inside.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  5. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    That looks like a nice enclosed setup to help keep it quiet and keep road grime out. I'm not sure about the DB rating, if it compares to the Honda or Yamaha rating using similar testing methods it's probably a good deal assuming it lasts.

One thing I had to do every 500hrs or so was pull the spark arrestor and clean with a wire brush and gasoline. It plugs up with soot if ran without a good load. Not sure if this model does the same thing but something to watch.
    I'd be careful about trying to seal it up or re-route the exhaust. It's easy to overheat a machine without ample fresh air and free flowing exhaust.
    I've never noticed any fumes or smell from a Honda unless the spark arrestor was plugged, then it pumped out oil and a plume of white smoke.

blairandgretchen and Elroythekid Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I also wondered if you could run a longer straight pipe out the frame rails to the rear.

Does a longer exhaust reduce noise, or do you need another muffler (restriction)?

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  7. LameMule

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Any addition to the factory exhaust will likely reduce noise. You need to be careful not to restrict the flow with small diameter tubing. You could try a few different setups using scrap materials and check temps with a laser to see if you're overworking the engine by restricting the exhaust?

8. LameMule

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    I've seen stealth exhaust systems for four wheelers designed for hunting. Maybe reverse engineer one of those?

Elroythekid and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    The run times are interesting on these.

The Honda 20 hours at 1/4 load
    Predator 11 hours at 1/4 load
    Champion inverter 7.5 hours at 1/4 load

‘Sound levels are all close, Honda twice the cost but best reputation, predator has some great reviews on YouTube and cheapest, Champion inverter makes some good stuff at can be had less than $1k.

I have a 6500 watt Onan gas from an RV that is crazy quiet but it has some power issues at this point and is quite heavy. If it was diesel it would be worth getting fixed.

Blair trailer has the gen mount on the left side down on the trailer and is quite always back from anyone. I just can’t see anyone #####ing about the noise. But then again... truck drivers will find a way. The last thing I am worried about is a bit of noise. I sleep like a baby at truck stop. I guess my years at sea in the Navy with aircraft taking off and landing right over my head depending on what berthing I was in prepared me well. Lolol.

bzinger and Elroythekid Thank this.
  10. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I saw a fellow with a regular home gen on his catwalk and he had some bunk heater flex exhaust to a straight pipe he ran up beside his stack. It did seem quieter than a regular generator, he said he had no problems with it?

11. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    A couple of thoughts here.
    On a gravity fed carb wouldn't adding extra fuel cause a rich fuel mixture? Or until the weight of the fuel is reduced.
    Why can't the exhaust be tied into the truck stack?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.