Glad I moved over to Poly Trucking

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by chemster, Jun 18, 2012.

1. maninthemoon1

maninthemoon1 Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Garrison ky
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I'm guessing there are 25 to 30 times a year a driver spends 4 or 5 days here at G.P as I am right now. My uneducated guess is that the 2nd time in a yr it happens to the same driver he doesn't stay much longer. In short it would not surprise me if out of that 25 to 30 times 7 or 8 end up leaving soon after.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. majestyk

majestyk Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2009
    las vegas, nv
    If someone was staying more than once over a year period for 4-5 days on the yard that would be too much but no one comes close to spending that much time at GP. I personally never spent more than a 34 hr reset there but I am not one to sit around and wait for truck repairs or a load to west palm beach in the winter.
    I've been out of the PG loop since July and doing the SLC gig but in my 2.5 years otr there I was never forced, coerced or otherwise told that I had to take a certain load anywhere. We all are sometimes at the bottom of the load board and are only left with the most undesirable options for trips but even those are way better than sitting around waiting to cherry pick a load the following day in my opinion. That said I only had to take one load into the NE the last 1.5 yrs otr there, it was into Boston of course in the middle of a blizzard but that #### happens on occasion as a truck driver
    I sincerely hope all the drivers leaving for greener pastures find them and keep us updated. If you can beat 0.57-0.58 cents/mi on hub with the ability to pretty much run where you want to run without much oversight lots of folks here and elsewhere will be anxiously awaiting to hear where to sign up.

ArmyGuy, LilRobWayne and Loanerdude Thank this.
  4. Loanerdude

Loanerdude Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    omnipresent
    Morale was low the other day I stopped by the TV room ,
    my load was running a bit behind so i popped in .
    Only 2 of the 6 present were content at Poly.

Same old stuff , it works for some , and not for others.
    I cite equipment when interviewers ask me why Im leaving.
    If i had a newer cummins powered ride i would probably
    be staying , but thats not gonna happen.
    I hear they are dependable from the drivers that
    have them . I think they are the 37## numbered ones.
    Not sure about the 36## series.

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    You can make $1.58 a mile, but if you aren't getting miles what good is that? Between shipping, the revolving personnel changes in outbound and endless equipment problems, along with incompetent shop people both in-house and from the dealer, getting miles was a challenge. I went from 10-11k mile early on to some months where I just cleared 5k for 30 days. Poly isn't the same company it was the beginning of this year. And my gut feeling said that corporate really doesn't give a flying flip. As long as their wallets are getting just as fat, they couldn't care less about who hauls the load. Everybody always claims that Poly isn't a trucking company...funny, they're acting a lot like the average greedy bottom feeder mega more and more. That is why people are leaving at such an increased rate.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    silverspur Thanks this.
  6. Loanerdude

Loanerdude Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    omnipresent
    4290 miles total for the month of October.
    When i finish the current trip on Monday
    2100 for November (so far)
    [​IMG]

7. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Are/were you making .57/mile at Poly? I thought they paid .50/mile regardless of tenure....

8. majestyk

majestyk Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2009
    las vegas, nv
    With the drop/pickup pay, phone pay, matching 6% retirement pay it comes out to .57-.58 cents/mi on my total mileage estimate. It would vary a tiny bit based on your total miles. If I remember correctly I ran 135-6k the first year, 133k the second with about 60 days at home and was on par to do about the same this year when I started the "local" gig.

brtecson Thanks this.
  9. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i dunno but if i could only run a 1000 miles a week at $1.58 per mile that sounds pretty good to me. i guess it don't matter if you get 5 bucks a mile if your not gettn any miles lol

10. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I managed 115k miles last year, and on pace to just barely top that this year...both with 300+ days out and only once ever said no to a load (was needing to get home and all they offered were loads heading me into areas that would backhaul me to UPN). I made no better money at Poly than I did at Crete (just a whole lot less micro-management). So hub pay, higher per mile pay, more paid stops, and phone reimbursement didn't work out to be any kind of a financial advantage. And they have their own frustrating things to deal with, so really, they are no different than any other company out there.

11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Guess no one told Poly operations that I quit. They called me a little bit ago wondering if I was ever going to call and put myself on the board. It was the limit of hometime. I confused him by telling him I was on a load...Chicago to Gainesville FL...then confused him more by telling him it was a Magnum load...I finally clued him in that I quit almost 2 weeks ago.

tucker and Bumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.