Going over Mont Eagle

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Trucking in Tennessee, Jun 17, 2018.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    They can go 45 if under 70000 gross

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Bructon Mills is indeed a pass (Gap, ridge etc) There is or was a little Sandy's on the north side of the interstate in a sort of a carved out hollow. Food is adequate. Not very big.

Its one of a series of hills that start past Hancock Md at Sideling past the Split for Breezewood or WVa off 70. I think the second or third would be Big Savage. There is like 5 or 6 in total until the Morgantown turn off or run south to Hurricane WVa past Jane Lew.

andhe78 Thanks this.
  4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Wal... I had to rack my mind on that question.

Most interstate mountain grades meet 7% as a building requirement. Sort of a max. I can think along either I-26 or perhaps along Fancy Gap from VA I-81 to past Pilot Mountain southbound on I-77.

There are a few grades in that part of the Carolinas steeper than that, but it's not part of the US Interstate system.

Another mountain in NC would be Black Mountain. That one was my Spouse's opus. And her graduation downgrade as far as mountain training goes for her. It's on 40. I forget the exact percentage but I do remember it's 30 all the way down max.

I remember yet another mountain on a interstate that is pretty much straight up on a tiny two laner each side interstate. But don't recall enough about it's name whatever it was, It would be south west of Richmond or thereabouts perhaps. Not carolina.

Sandstone on 64 has alot of stones on my heart, too many killings and injury from people doing stupid stuff in winter on that one. And there is US 322, my own graduation hill.

Although south of Danville into Carolina is pretty good mountain Country. It's unfortunate that dear General Robert E Lee did not make it that far on no food. If he did, he would have wage guerrilla warfare for years to come.

6. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    It’s my understanding that white signs are the law and yellow signs are a recommendation. Think about speed signs... speed limit is white background, recommended safe speed for a curve is a yellow background. Same thing goes for brake check areas and other mountain pass checkpoints.

Another thing about Monteagle is that there’s a sign in the brake check area that shows you where the runaway truck ramps are in case you need one of them. You’re required to stop at that sign for a few seconds until the light turns green above your lane.

Trucking in Tennessee and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sometimes videos circulate of trucks taking ramps in any given day. It's worth watching. So you know what you are committing to should your rig be a runaway.

I usually hold her just so until I can see the bottom, then I let her run out so when we are off the thing we are back to 70 without adding fuel.

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Black Mountain was the one. Thanks

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I always stop at those. Noticed most trucks just park and go into their sleeper for about 20 minutes, then get back behind the wheel and and go down. Lol.

But yeah, get out and check ur rig out before going down. Listen for leaks and such. This didn't happen at an inspection lot but I did catch my trailer during pre trip with a leaking air hose. Had breakdown out within an hour and they fixed it.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I stopped but the light was green. Had no problem. Even had to then the brake down to 2 to maintain speed. Only a light load.

11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I always stopped, pretty sure they would fine if caught passing one. I know for a fact they will if you pass a brake check in BC, even bobtailing, they even require you to log the stops.
    There is a sign (no brake check) on a little skinny two lane in northern Alberta, we use to bypass some scales that says, trucks use lowest gears. I have seen untold amounts of signs saying lower gears, but that is the only one I know of that is lowest gear. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.