going with werner, any tips?

Discussion in 'Werner' started by bigtex07, Feb 28, 2010.

1. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Thanks for the advice... I will look a little closer into Swift.

I know that starting out in this industry, and probably the rest of my career in trucking, the companies will screw you over when they get a chance.

I am a positive person and will make the best of a given situation. I have heard alot of bad things about Werner as well as Swift. Cant find hardly anything on Trans Am and CRST is out of the question because I have no desire to run as a team.

I figure that if I can just get in there, take the runs given to me, be on time and stay under the radar I should be ok. If not I should be able to put up with it for 6 months then try to move on to greener pastures.

I am thinking that you are the one that mentioned to me awhile back about Weatherford College. Thanks! That seems like a good school. If I can get my buddy to return my call, I am gonna swing by and pick him up so we can both sign up for WC today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KindHearted

KindHearted Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2010
    amite la
    I drove n Trainer for Werner for 6 yrs. I work for Con-Way now an I will Never go back to Werner. Now i have a good Job. Just don't let the trainer put U in the driver seat an tell u to drive an not teach u all the Other stuff that U really do need out here. even if U have to call the Saefty department ask for Marie she is in charge of it. an if u SDM is Laurie your in trouble. Good Luck

4. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    The SDM isnt the same person as the recruiter, is it?

5. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    no the recruiter just gets you to orientation. then you get an sdm thats whom you talk to when your on the trainers truck. dont settle for the 1st trainer you get. my 1st trainer was a pos my 2nd and 3rd trainers were great. I'm still on my 3rd trainers truck. the 9th im supposed to be getting off his truck in atl to test out and get my truck. i will tell you all how it goes

6. KindHearted

Feb 10, 2010
    amite la
    I just read what u said about the first trainer. Now ALL trainers aren't bad.. Heck this person's first trainer might be a Good one. BTW If u get off truck on ATL GA when you get the truck the Fleet Assignment Person Her Name is Melinda. Oh an Jason is Safety Manager an Heather is too this way you know I know what im talkin about when it comes to Werner Enterprise Logisitics. Good Luck and G.O.A.L

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  7. KindHearted

Feb 10, 2010
    amite la
    No the SDM isnt a recuiter.. Let me explain something to U ... YOU are the only one that can make the decision to what you are going to do. If the first trainer is good an they work with you and dont yell or scream at you then U have a good one.. Otherwise don't let the bad trainer get away with Yelling or scream at you, an as I said if you have Problems CALL the SDM. Or use Mirco 13 an send a message its only a 2 line thing but if u do U can delete it once U send it.. The trainer doesnt have to give u his ok do this. Good Luck An do make the best of things, dont sit an take no Abuse from no one..

8. Ben Around

Ben Around Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Iowa City, IA
    Be lucky they are willing to take a chance on you. Be willing to stick it out. Once you have two years with Werner you will be able to write your own ticket. It will be at least a year before they actually make any money on you up until that point they are the ones taking the financial risk. Also, I have never driven for Werner, but the economics of trucking are always the same wherever you go.

Injunjoe and tropiks7 Thank this.
  9. Tone126995

Tone126995 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2010
    chambersburg,pa
    Wow dude, gotta love the pic of obama with the sign! Wish we could discuss it sometimes. Ignorance is bliss, is it not? Since the orginal sin of man, we as human beings have always been quick to blame others for our personal downfalls. Where is personal responsibility for the mistakes that we collectively made as a nation? When you put a pic up to make a poltical statement, make sure you know what your actually saying. (Wow I rather critique others than actually provide solutions to problems.)

10. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick

O i know Melinda my 1st trainer went home to atl like 3 times a week. So i have been being real nice to her in hopes it might help me when it comes time to get me a truck. But you are right not all trainers are bad. but my grandma ,whom just left Werner 4 years ago, had a bad 1st trainer and so did i. they were people that just wanted a 2nd logbook and not to toss any pointers yada yada yada but thats with any company their will be good and bad trainers

11. bigtex07

bigtex07 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Las Vegas,NV
    some good advice guys. havent been on for a while. what about family dollar?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.