Got to put a gladhand seal on it.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TommyTrucker88, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have seen spare tires taken from underside racks, and tandems sitting on the ground after having the wheels and tires stolen. RIGHT IN TRUCK STOPS. I have had fuel stolen right out of my tanks as I slept over night. I am not trying to be combative here. Just trying to make it clear that your truck, trailer and load is not safe just because you are in the nations heartland and not the border. In fact I have seen MORE theft and wanton destruction 10 to 1 in the heartland over the borders over my trucking career. My comment might seem elementary to you old hands. However I am speaking more to the new guys here.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If I were going to steal your tires, I'd have taken those shiny new wheels also.

austinmike Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Need an air gun for that. Well, or very long wrench. To steal the tires just gotta deflate the tires, and take a bar and pop them off the rim.

5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Those rubber seals are often missing on my company trailers in Laredo too. Mexicans are taking them off. Period.

Something needs to be done. I’m calling Fox News.

6. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    Oh heck, since everyone else is telling their "what they heard story", I'll throw mine into the mix.

While working for a mega I would watch the Mexican shuttle drivers (back and forth across the border) drop a trailer in the yard (Laredo), and yes take out the seals every time. These guys were apparently contracted by my mega to do the shuttle thing, and they would pull out the seals and stuff them in their pocket in broad daylight for all to see each time they brought a trailer back across from Mexico.

My curiosity peaked so I asked the terminal manager what was the deal? He said that these shuttle drivers would pick up dropped trailers in Mexico that had been unloaded and that the seals were always missing. They would then have to put in their own seals in order to bring it across the border. Then when they would drop on our yard, they would just be retrieving their own seals back to use on their next load.

So there! My crap story is as good as ya'lls!

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    So they’re down there in Mexico complaining about how we steal ####?

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I will admit he was legit, but I saw a man pull up in a work truck pop on his air pump put a jack under a tandem yank 2 wheels off and replace them with 2 news ones air drive the nuts snug then torque them with a 4 way in just about 10 minutes.Most of the time trailers don't have the expensive wheels just the tractors. It is like copper wire. The money you can get from reselling them makes these things very tempting to steal.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    It's been a problem since U.S. carriers started doing cross border shuttles back in ( 90'S ?) Trailers coming back with bald tires and no tail lites. CFI out of Joplin was big "victim" in this. For awhile it stopped, I guess it's going on again. I say, if a carrier wants to send their equipment over there, then so be it. But deal with it. Do you see carriers sending power there ? I'll answer that for you.... NO !

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    There was a place in Otay Mesa CA where before we'd drop the trailer at the swap yard, we had to pop out all the lights and glad hand seals, and lay them down on a tarp outside the shipper office. The Mexican drivers had to provide their own lights and seals to get it over to Mexico.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.