1. Chris_in_CT

Chris_in_CT Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Connecticut
    i just got my Class A and am joining Crete/Shaffer in a couple of weeks. I’ve been scouring the net on anything that I can find to prepare myself for my new career.

With the Qualcomm and it’s various functions, do I still need to purchase a trucking GPS?

Thank you for any assistance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Chris_in_CT Thanks this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Yes, Qualcomm gps still makes mistakes if you go off route. No gps is perfect, even my Garmin give me wrong directions.

Get a good gps, use qualcomm and a map book. Yes yes i know Map book? It's 2019! I admit i don't use it daily but once in a while i have to look at bridge height or restrictions. Maybe like 5 times i pick it up from the dash.

RoadRooster and Chris_in_CT Thank this.
  5. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Unfortunately, the truckers gps is the be all, end all navigation system it could or should be. I used a Rand McNally up until last year. It usually worked well, and had coverage where my phone did not, but it would sometimes lead me to a destination that was not even in sight of my intended shipper or consignee. And so, one night, it pulled this shenanigan once again and I snapped. In less than a minute, I discovered what the inside of a $400 Rand McNally gps looks like without the aid of a screwdriver.

On a previous trip, this very same gps routed me on this two lane road into Montana instead of to I-15 coming south from Calgary. I was stopped at the border where I asked why I chose this route. "I followed my stupid gps directions" was my reply. The CBP guard quipped, "And it shows." :(

So they took their time searching my tractor the old fashioned way even checking where I used the gps to go.

Down the snow covered and windy road I then went. Haven't driven so slowly and carefully down a hill since, or cursed as much while doing so. Finally reaching I-15 was cause for celebration.

The moral of the story is that a trucker gps isn't perfect, and I am still quite certain that those who programmed the gps routes are in colusion with Big Oil due to the seemingly long routes it wants you to take.

With that being put to text, a trucker's gps is good for notifying you of upcoming weigh stations, toll booths, and low bridges. It should also put you on truck routes that avoid weight restrictions. And should you encounter a sign along your intended route that forbids vehicles over 7 tons, do not proceed. You'll only find yourself in a heap of trouble if you proceed.

NavigatorWife and Chris_in_CT Thank this.
  6. Chris_in_CT

Chris_in_CT Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Connecticut
    Thank you everyone for your help! I think I’ll definietly get a GPS. I think I’ll go with a Garmin.

I’m just trying to figure out what I’ll need to get started. I’m definitely going to get a CB as well.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    My advise about GPS... USE WITH CAUTION, DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR BRAIN.

8. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Like previous replies said don't forget your brain. I have a garmin truck gps and I also have a subscription to smarttruckroute. I program both of them before my pretrip. I then look at the routes they give me. (Most of the time they are pretty close, one may take me on more city roads) and decide my route. I then take a quick look at my atlas to make sure. Haven't had a problem yet.

Also don't forget to pay attention to road signs! Low bridges, weights, no trucks, etc.. Good luck and be safe

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I can’t add anything that hasn’t been mentioned above... so I’ll simply say “congratulations and welcome to Trucking!!!”

Lots of good folks here on this website... so keep asking questions about anything you may need to ask!!!

Stay Safe!!!

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Keep the big glossy book it may come in handy

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I used copilot. Downloaded through google play.

I won't say it was the best. No gps is the best. But it was a close to perfect as one could get.

It's not fancy. But it got the job done without an atlas or causing trouble.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.