Great plains transport

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by MrLincoln, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Mine has it as well.... I’m a bit disappointed with the reliability as far as the power train is concerned. It kept popping up the check engine light for the past year and the dealership has not been too good about fixing them properly, getting the trucks back in to fix or helping our shop. It got bad enough that the company decided they’d had enough and stopped buying Volvo’s. Looks like we might get some KW t680’s, there was a demo unit in the yard which I looked at while waiting for my truck to get repaired. Looks pretty nice inside, it was an auto with the column mounted shift controller (a bit like frieghtliner). It had a good size table in it that folded out between the bunk and passenger seat, roughly about the same amount of storage space as the Volvo. The fridge is a drawer style about the size of the ones in the freightshakers. Also it had a factory mounted inverter with a shore power setup. I think the paccar engines on those also have start/stop feature along with a battery based a/c & espar heater. Sounds like that could save weight over having the extra weight & maintenance hassle of separate diesel APU. If they ask me if I want one come thing spring and if I’m still here I’ll probably sign up for one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zaros

Zaros Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Dang, I really like the volvos (dinete set). From seeing the electric apus on the Internationals, I wouldn't hold my breath on the ones on the Kws.. They're not that great, specially in the summer time.

The passanger seat going all the way back to that table on the KW seems nice though, and you have the TV mount right there as well so that's a pretty sweet set up.

4. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I hate the table in my Volvo. The cushions are not near firm enough for me to get a decent nights sleep on so I have to use a Memory Foam Mattress on top of them. So making it into a table or bed is a pain in the rump. And since there is no other flat place to do anything in the cab you have to make it into a table. Other than that, I like the 860.

5. Zaros

Zaros Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    You're driving the new 860 instead of the 780? I'm planning on leaving the table on full time and sleeping on the top bunk. It'd be a nice change to have my computer set up, and for cooking as well/eating some what decently in a truck for the first time would be a game changer. No longer would i be miserable while waiting to be loaded/unloaded with reefer lol.

6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Yes it is an 860. And I agree about the table being useful. At 65 my days of climbing up and into upper bunks are over..LOL Not to mention I took the bunk mattress out and use the space for storage. Seems like I am always carrying too much stuff around....The fridge is huge compared to a Cascadia, and mine came with a TV and Microwave. No APU though, but do have an Espar heater. Idle for AC when needed. I do wish it had a pull out flat board for eating off of though.

Zaros Thanks this.
  7. Zaros

Zaros Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I do wish that as well (the regular pull off table to eat something right quick). I understand. Do you work for great plains too? So that means they're getting the 860s? I used to work at Holland. I liked working there but the pay seemed to be a bit on the low side. Not sure if GP pays a bit more, but definitely would love a big Volvo. Not too happy with the Driver facing camera though..

8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    No I work for a Western Regional dry van company out of Pomona CA. I did work for Holland back in 2012.
    We have driver facing cameras too but they are not live. It goes onto an internal flash drive and gets written over every day. In the year and a half I have been here I have only seen it removed once, and it was then tossed into the trash and a newer larger one installed. Mine has been flashing Full or Error since a week after I got this truck in early January. They only really get interested if your in a crash.

9. Zaros

Zaros Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Do they hire out of vegas? what's their cpm like? miles?

Bumper Thanks this.
  10. Surefyre

Surefyre Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Any updates on the L/P front? I'm set up for orientation on 9/10/18. Im excited but nervous too. Hope the $1600-$2k+ take home is accurate.

11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Unless you are leasing a truck under warranty I doubt ot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.