Halvor Lines =/

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Soltaker, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Soltaker

Soltaker Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Deer Park, WI
    It pains me to post this, because up until the end I was mostly treated well.

If you are considering working for Halvor, I would suggest you be absolutely sure you know every detail in regards to their policies.

I'll explain.

I got my start at Halvor 2 years ago. August of 15. Since, I was an excellent employee. Did whatever was asked of me. Did what it takes to get loads delivered on time, even if it meant running overnight. Not that overnight driving takes heroics. I just prefer not to. In that time, I ran 275,000+ accident free miles. 0 DOT violations. No tickets. No log violations. No complaints from customers. Nobody ever called the number on the back of the trailer to tell safety what an a-hole I am. I did my job and I did it well.

Halvor touts their bonus program. It's decent, and always a welcome check. They pay it quarterly. They have 4 Tiers to their program:

1. 28,500 gets $570
    2. 31,500 gets $945
    3. 33,000 gets $1,320
    4. 34,500 gets $1,725

My last day at Halvor coincidentally was also the last day of the Quarter. I delivered to a Sam's on September 30th. I ran 31,850 miles for the quarter earning me the $945 bonus.

Or so I thought.

When I gave notice, I was informed that I would not be receiving my Performance bonus. According to Halvor, even though I worked the entire quarter and fulfilled all of my responsibilities, I had to still be employed in order to get paid the bonus. They pay it out 2 weeks after quarter's end. At this point, I had already committed to an October 2nd start date with my new employer which could not be changed.

Maybe I'm a simple guy. But I just don't understand how the head of safety can shake a guy's hand and tell him if I ever want to come back they would welcome me immediately. Or how the terminal manager of the Inver Grove yard calls and asks if there is anything he can do to make me reconsider. Then in the next breath tell me that I'm not going to get a bonus that I had earned.

I would totally understand if I moved on part way thru the quarter. Expecting any kind of bonus if I only worked 2 or 3 weeks in a quarter would be silly. But I didn't. I worked to the end, only to get the shaft.

To be fair, it was in the employee handbook they gave me at orientation 2 YEARS ago. So my not remembering is on me. But as far as I'm concerned, if a guy does what I laid out in the above paragraphs, he should be given what is earned.

On top of that, Halvor has a rewards program. You use an app, answer safety related questions, and earn points. I had a bunch of points saved up, and ordered my daughter a soccer net before I gave notice. The expected ship date was Oct 2ND. Once I gave notice, they canceled out my order and deleted me from the system. Again, taking away something I earned for my kid.

The DM's play favorites, as most businesses seem to. Some of them show up at 7. The rest at 8. The DM's that start at 7 cherry pick all the sweet runs for the day. The 8am crew gets the scraps. Of those scraps, they delegate out the work as they see fit. That's their job, and I get it.

I don't expect my DM to be a travel agent. But in the 2 years I was with them, I made it to Cali once. Florida 3 or 4 times. Oregon once. Meanwhile on their social media page, there are other dry van drivers in Tucson, Bangor, Portland, Miami, ect.... While the miles were usually there, getting a change of scenery once in a while would have been nice.

On a number of occasions, I would tell my DM that I had a fresh 70, so there's no need to get me back home anytime soon. Inevitably I would wind up making runs between Minnesota and the rest of the upper Midwest. I eventually gave up on wanting to get out further. Fair or not, I attribute this at least in part to the cliquiness of the DM's.

I really don't want this to come off as sour grapes, or that I have an axe to grind. Halvor really is a good starter company if you're fresh out of school and have lowered expectations. There are other things that are a turn off (64mph trucks, no APU's, low starting pay and insulting pay increases), but I've already drone on far too long. For the most part, it's a good place to go to gain experience before moving on.

I just hope that my experience with Halvor will give others pause before talking to their recruiters. I do not regret my time there. However, I am glad I moved on from a company that's so petty it would cancel an order for a $20 soccer net or refuse to give a guy a bonus he earned.

Be safe out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    FYI,,any truck co. I've ever worked for pays the bonus one to two weeks after the period and you do have to be on the payroll also.

stwik, Rollr4872, Frank Speak and 3 others Thank this.
  4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Most trucking company "bonus" programs are a freaking joke.
    If I were @Soltaker I'd be furious as well.
    A bonus is something you EARN, and he earned it, yet never got it paid to him because the crybaby, cheap, money grubbing, panty wastes at Halvor got their little feelings hurt because he was leaving.

Trucking company management have to be some of the sleeziest liars and thieves ever to ATTEMPT to run a business. How do they sleep at night knowing dirty underwear is more desirable than them?

D.Tibbitt, Grouch, Mike2633 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Unfortunately ethics, morals and integrity are NOT apart of the fabric of our society anymore
    ....next time don't send any telegrams until AFTER you get everything your after.
    ....Loose lips sink ships

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Yup, that's how it's worked anywhere I've been too.

Exactly, NEVER give notice until you have everything coming to you. I even make sure I've cleaned out the truck just in case they pull the "We accept your resignation today" b.s. That's never happened to me, thankfully, but I still don't take any chances.

jon69, D.Tibbitt, ghostcookie and 6 others Thank this.
  7. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Most OTR drivers that give a two week notice of intent, will pay dearly for their honesty
    ....in "right to work " states- giving a two week notice is no longer necessary or can be held against you .
    Remember to take pictures of the nice clean equipment you returned in the requested place to park it
    ....by law NO company can with hold ANY wages without a written agreement of such at ANYTIME! !!

8. White Dog

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Yet they all do it, and get away with it.
    Why? Because (it seems) at that point, everything has been so miserable, that ALL one looks at is "moving on". I include myself in the group....I shudder to think of how much money I let trucking companies steal from me in 25 years OTR. Probably the equivalency of a years wages or more.
    I was too lazy, and too poor to attempt to fight it in court. I know; stupid excuse....but that's the truth.

Anonymousproxy Thanks this.
  9. Singlescrew

Singlescrew Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Twin Cities
    Would you expect a company to pay a Christmas bonus if you quit on December 15? I know many don’t give Christmas bonuses out anymore but you can never think of a bonus as any sort as payroll. Don’t put your notice in until after the bird is in the hand.

10. White Dog

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    We're not talking "Christmas Bonus" dude....we're talking "Performance Bonus"; and the OP "performed" (and earned) the bonus BEFORE giving notice. So honor Halvor's end, and pay the #### thing out!

Grouch Thanks this.
  11. Singlescrew

Singlescrew Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Twin Cities
    My point is a bonus is not a Garuntee pay. You can’t count on a bonus as it is usually determined by company by laws and rules and are not protected as payroll is. Companies are within the law to not pay out bonuses, performance or otherwise, for really any reason. I’m not saying the op didn’t “earn” this bonus I’m just letting others know companies are not obligated to payout bonuses and don’t count on them as income until they hit your account. Right or wrong, that’s the world we live in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.