Hand Placement During Backing?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Velli, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Currently in school. I've been watching alot of YouTube videos on every facet of trucking and different guys have different tips on how to do things. I just wanted to know if using the the top or bottom of the steering wheel affects turning. One guy said if you use the top of the steering wheel then the trailer will go the same way you turn but if you use the bottom it will go the opposite. Is this true? Which method is better?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Are we talking about backing or making turns? But regardless, it makes no difference. A given rotation of the steering wheel (clockwise or counter-clockwise) will always do the same thing, no matter your "hand placement".

Shock Therapy and Velli Thank this.
  4. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Backing...

5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Your hand is on top at the 12 o'clock position. You turn the steering wheel a half turn to the right. Now your hand is on the bottom. What do ya do now?.....:D

I used to just say to myself, "Turn left to go right, turn right to go left."

You just have to figure out for yourself what works for you until you can do it without thinking about it. Good luck in school!

And make a copy of your CDL license picture when you pass. You'll have the biggest smile you ever had!

Chewy352, Velli and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  6. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    When I'm backing up your normally find my hand on the side of the wheel with my other on the door with my leaning out of it. (Do t recommend doing that on a cdl test tho :) )

Chewy352 and Velli Thank this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Use left hand to hold your Arby's sandwich, right hand to hold phone. Steer with your knee.

Repeat for driving on the interstate.

Thull, austinmike, tscottme and 6 others Thank this.
  8. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Kyle stole my thunder I was going to say the same thing...

seriously put your hand on the wheel where you were comfortable...another way of saying what's already been said is "turn the wheel towards the problem when backing"

if you're getting too close to that Big Shiny Peterbilt on your left, turn the wheel to the left

9. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I really don't recommend YouTube videos...practice instead...don't pay attention to what the tractor is doing watch the tail of the trailer...if it's not going where you wanted to go then you would just the tractor but you still watching the trailer to see how it responds

couple million people probably learn how to drive trucks backwards before YouTube was invented...you can do it to just get the feel... practice

Velli Thanks this.
  10. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I'll second that. When I was at cr England's school we had all evening to practice backing. Very few people took advantage of it and they usually had the hardest time on the skills test.

Practice practice practice and you'll figure out what works for you.

RoadRooster, Boattlebot and Velli Thank this.
  11. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Try stick in your head out the window. Not kidding. It helps alot to see the end of the trailer in first person vs a mirror. Atleast for me. I really only use my mirrors on the blind sides to check clerence on the passenger aide and straight. Everything else I'm learning out my door. (Hard to just stick my head out the window in this truck)

Velli and RoadRooster Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.