Has anyone ever ...

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by zany_steverino, Feb 27, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I might still have a can or two of the old banned freon. That was what we used on our 70's era airconditoning compressors back then. They banned it I think in the early 90's God only knows the value of those cans now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Last time I experienced the strange gas was over a year ago. I don’t remember the exact number of times I’ve experienced this, but it may be no more than 5 times, and not all times did I get inside the trailer to install load locks. Sometimes they didn’t need them or the load already had load locks.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There was a terrorist attack in one of Russia's big opera houses where the whole shebang with hundreds were held hostage.

The Spetsnaz brought in cylinders of semi lethal anethesia and put the entire building and everyone in it straight to sleep. The tragety began when untrained paramedics dragged out hundreds of ordinary people after the unconsious terrorists were killed by headshots on the floor and positioned the people on their sides for vomiting purposes. They failed to position them correctly and about half of everyone pulled from the building died.

It's small things when humans are taken down by a gas in some form. I would not worry about it, shake it off and get going. No time to be feeling poorly HA....

KB3MMX and PE_T Thank this.
  5. I remember when that happened. There was also another terrorist hostage situation in a Russian school about the same time.

6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    It’s just ammonia, the same stuff we use to clean our bathrooms,
    It’s annoying but not lethal, unless you’re exposed for a really really long time, but you’ll be annoyed and find fresh air before it hurts you.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

What’s the purpose of ammonia in trucking?

8. Mix ammonia with bleach .... Oh, lets just say any ordinary bleach, like from a washout, the same stuff you use to do your laundry at home, and you create chlorine gas, which if you breathe it, turns into hydrochloric acid when it binds to water in your lungs, which then melts both of your biological and organic equipment that allows you to stay living.

9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I wasn’t there to smell it, but my guess is they used brighter at the wash out.

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Some warehouses use ammonia in there cooling system.
    I remember a few places that made us drivers sign a paper when we checked in that we knew it.

Maybe someone mixed Mentos with Diet Coke and that knocked over a bottle of Drano and it spilled on some aluminum foil.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    At some meat packing plants, fresh meat is put into cold storage using something that is called "modified atmosphere packaging". They will add gasses to the packaging to decrease decay and loss of color and help preserve the food. They will use high amounts of CO2 and Nitrogen, which in a single package wouldn't be toxic to a person, but tons of it in an enclosed and sealed reefer could be deadly.

PE_T and zany_steverino Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.