Hauling Lumber

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by superdutyfan, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Also you can see I had left my 4x4 coil rack timbers on the trailer when I brought it to be loaded. They didn't want to run the other trailer until it had been cleared of damage from the rollover so I brought my trailer and left it for the tow guys to band the lumber and load the deck. I told them about the 4x4 for the front and the back and they did it just right... Not a ton of slope but just enough.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Last random thought.
    There's a hand saw called a Japanese pull saw. I highly recommend getting 1 even if it's cheap. That's what I made the slot cut in the PVC...but more useful than that...
    See the sticker boards they lay across the bundles? Your lumber had them in the strap bands. But at a lumber mill they sometimes use loose sticks. And sometimes the bundles have little wedges for straightening green wood.
    Both those instances plus other random times I see sticks poking out the side of the load and if it's getting a tarp I use the pull saw to cut them flush so they don't chew tarps or straps.
    Long reach and fast cut. 20210111_230702.jpg
    Yes I need to vacuum lol

4. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Sorry. I turned off the computer for the weekend. I honestly can't give you too much advise without knowing the specifics of your truck and where you're hauling. In my world I'm allowed 88,000 on my truck with 38K on the drivers, and 20k on each of my spread axles. With one my trucks I can easily roll with 54K worth of wood on my trailer. Our usual load of SPF lumber is double stacked on the first 16' and double stacked on the last 20', leaving 8' of single stack in the middle. We run a 45' spread axle flat.

This is a crappy cropped old photo of a truck I just recently retired. A 260" wb day cab specifically so that I could get the bridge formula needed to haul large loads and 60' beams without a permit. Due to the lengths of lumber in that load I put 46' worth on the bottom tier and had to center up one bundle towards the front to make the weight work. cropped-lumberload-2.jpg

5. superdutyfan

superdutyfan Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2020
    So as you know I'm new to this 34k allowed on the drives and trailer axel. Can haul 48k of a load 2016 cascadia. My truck with me weighs 32500 lbs. This might sound stupid but I am having a harder time then I thought arranging the loads properly. Weight wise. With this load I had 32k on the trailer had 71psi on the trailer and 28k on the truck at 53psi

cke Thanks this.
  6. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Famous banana load.

7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Pressure gauge on truck is NOT going to be the same as the one on the trailer

Tug Toy and beastr123 Thank this.
  8. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    I know they're a pita, but when there are winches on both sides I'd rather use straps with chain ends. That rub rail is for protecting my equipment, not securing to.

cke and Dave1837 Thank this.
  9. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I agree! Unfortunately a lot of our older East trailers have a rub rail designed for load securement. I use J-hooks whenever I can, but a lot of the trim board and super sacks we haul prohibit us from putting them in the slots cause the load is 100" wide

cke and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.