Hauling pallets

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DLament, Dec 16, 2022.

1. DLament

DLament Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Anybody ever hauled bulk pallets on a step or dry van? What kind of rate are you getting from these loads, I see a lot of hot shot guys hauling them because they are light so I would imagine they are cheap loads. It would be a backhaul or fronthaul to get me to something worth more $ but I would like to have a good enough rate to pay some for a round trip or deadhead if need be.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Pallets should pay the same as any other commodity. You need to make a profit when your wheels turn.

Many years ago I had a local customer, pallet factory. I was paid better than other local work.
    Good luck.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  4. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    I hauled a few pallet loads while driving for Schneider ,in a van.I don't know what their rate was though.

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A lot of customers consider hauling pallets to be a back haul...at back haul rates...which amounts to fuel money if you're lucky. Several of the big canneries in our area do this. They have their dedicated trucks that move their product and a lot of time they haul pallets back to the same plant they brought product from. For free.
    I'm sure there are pallet hauls somewhere that pay enough to make it worthwhile but the people doing them are keeping quiet about it.
    I've hauled new pallets from the pallet manufacturer to various plants but even that wasn't a big payday. Maybe some other area of the country does better. I hope so.

6. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Pallets damage dry van trailers. Most time they are heavy.

JoeyJunk and Concorde Thank this.
  7. LTLTRUCKDRIVER

LTLTRUCKDRIVER Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Hauled new custom pallets that paid well on flatbed. Used pallets are a pain in the butt on a flatbed, not worth the problems.

8. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I hauled Chep return pallets one time in a dry van to fill in a few dead hours I had. What I made on the load went out the door to fix what they tore up.

D.Tibbitt, Capacity and Chieftains Thank this.
  9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    There's a reason a lot of pallet trailers look like hell. Rapid pallet around here has some junky looking vans

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I’ve only hauled new ones a few times and pallet making wood a number of times. All paid well for the area they were in. Flatbed only.

cke Thanks this.
  11. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Few ive hauled were paying 3.50+

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.