Have a Deffered ticker. Before getting CDL

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Nate2go, May 29, 2023.

1. Nate2go

Nate2go Bobtail Member

May 29, 2023
    I been running HotShot but am getting CDL. . I have one ticket. Speeding. Texas has a lot of 75-80 and then easy to just cruise and get caught up in a 60-65.
    I can get it differed as im not yet CDL. I was wondering, since after a few days I will be getting a CDL. I passed the parallel and pretrial. ( truck broke down on road test )
    Will dumb violations bite me later on differed? All I had ince was an w.ergency brake adjustment in Utah once , and I fixed on the spot. I is just My business has gotten jobs, and I just got past 90 on my MC and ready to go all out.

I guess I may get varying answers. I may just see if I can get the different while i ca. , then get the CDL after and see if it does anything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Good question . I know from experience that if you get one in a car , and don't fight it , then it will show up on a CDL driver report .
    ( wether it' s A , B , whatever.)
    I'd check with your MVD / DMV for sure.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Nate2go

Nate2go Bobtail Member

May 29, 2023
    If I already have a CDL I know for sure I'm stuck with it. Since I don't have one at the moment I will be most likely given a deferment, and the ticket will disappear and stay in county unless i have another ticket. . I am just wondering how certain non moving violations appear . As I never had DOT trouble yet, hot shot hauling in Weigh Scales nothing non CDL.

5. Nate2go

Nate2go Bobtail Member

May 29, 2023
    It looks like I may be stuck with it .. I am going to try to defer to keep it in county and disappear, but the fact I have a CLP I may be stuck . All I can ask for is a break at below 15 if they see it.

6. Nate2go

Nate2go Bobtail Member

May 29, 2023
    I meant CLP. Autocorect changed it.
    If they see I have a CLP on driving record or otherwise . I may be stuck with he ticket. Even though no cdl yet.

7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You already paid the ticket ?

If not , you may be able to negotiate a lower charge .

You should always try to negotiate a reduced charge or hire a lawyer like “the ticket clinic “ to get it lowered to a lesser charge

Lav-25 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Might be different for CLP, but I know that tickets on a car LP don’t transfer - at least in my recent experience helping getting a kids license with him.

Definitely try and get it reduced to an equipment violation.

Rideandrepair and Siinman Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Seriously?

Dumb violations?

Dude, you were caught speeding, how much is the question because if it is 15 over, the insurance company may not like it.

If it is deferred, it may be settled but if you have the chance, see if you can bargain it down to a lesser charge even if you have to pay a bigger fine.

15 over will catch up to you.

Siinman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d try to postpone it, hire a Lawyer. Sounds drastic, and expensive. IMO probably cheaper in the long run. I got a 15 over, after years of 0 tickets. Lost in Court. Didn’t appeal just paid, and tried very hard to avoid any more tickets. Ended up getting a few more. All were minor, but added up. Almost lost my CDL. Same thing happened to 2 friends of mine. Jurisdictions were money hungry back then. Having a conviction of 15 over doesn’t help. It looks bad. Get pulled over again, don’t expect a break. Get another within 3 years, and forfeit CDL for 3 months. Get a 3rd, add another 3 months suspension. Chain of events. Fight the ticket, pay a Lawyer. It’s cheap in comparison to what can happen.

Siinman, Lav-25 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  11. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    if you had a CLP at the time of the ticket you are not eligible for deferral. 384.226. In the past though many Texas jurisdictions would do in anyhow and the feds have been cracking down on them. Maybe you will get lucky. :)

Siinman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.