Hazmat Must enter scales

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by lost_sole, Mar 17, 2023.

1. lost_sole

lost_sole Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2023
    3 states are mandatory.

AR, NV, AK? I cant remember

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Neb. got to be in there, I read, anything with a DOT # , including rental truck, must enter. I'd have to think only if the scale is open, and Neb. never closes. Haz-mat? Years ago, we never placarded haz mat loads, as it was like walking around with your zipper open, bound to attract attention. I don't recommend either today.

NoBigHurry and mtoo Thank this.
  4. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There are four states that require hazmat to enter the other is Ohio.

lost_sole Thanks this.
  5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    So I'm reading you right. You didn't placard hazmat loads years back and you don't recommend it either today:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Definitely a no go in our world of pulling hazmat loads.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Having PrePass, DriveWyze etc and getting the bypass in your cab makes no difference. Those states you must enter any open scales if placarded.
    Arizona is one though I've seen trucks go by on westbound I 10 not stop and no one came after them. Arkansas will come after you if they see you. Give you a ticket and they may make you get off at the next exit and go back through the scale. Ohio for sure.
    All of the bypass services have state by state info online and in print. If you haul Haz otr you should have this info in your truck.

7. lost_sole

lost_sole Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2023
    Yeah! Thanks. I couldnt remember where I saw the signs for ALL PLACARD LOADS MUST ENTER SCALES.

I weighed there the other day.

Thanks!!

AR
    AZ
    OH
    NV

Is that the list?

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Settle down, read it again,,I did lots of outlaw things, I DON'T recommend those shenanigans today!!! It never ceases to amaze me, someone interprets something wrong, and goes off on a tangent for nothing. Besides, it was a different time then. A record of your "so-called" Haz-Mat cargo,( which may have amounted to a case of Sterno) didn't go to the Pentagon when you signed for it. It was late at night, coops closed, and was only going 140 miles to the RR in Chicago. Let the poor schmuck in Dallas( or where ever), worry about it. That, btw, would backfire, as the guy in Dallas was doing the same thing with your load. I never got my Haz-Mat endorsement, the loads didn't pay any more, the hassle wasn't worth it, and I just refused them. The guy I drove for, also an outlaw, I told him, if I get stopped with any haz-mat on, I'm setting the brakes and taking off into the woods.:salute: Electronic gee-gaw and 911 paranoia put an end to that, and just as well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    snowman1980, tlalokay, mtoo and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    If you’ve got that uniform hazmat transportation agreement you can bypass ohio & west virginia.
    It’ll be in permit book, make sure it’s up to date.

Maryland has a special lane restriction for hazmat.
    Or used too, haven’t been there in 7-8 years.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...501268800/Bypass+Restrictions+FULL+060113.pdf

10. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Tankers not dry van. Beep Beep

silent_philosophy Thanks this.
  11. silent_philosophy

silent_philosophy Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2023
    After the Ohio railroad sensation, railroad crossings ought to be getting extra caution....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.