Headache rack install ?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by HalpinUout, Feb 10, 2018.

1. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Is it necessary to put a piece of coil mat between Rack and truck frame when mounting the rack? Currently have my rack up on spacers as I had my APU mounted over the frame. They do have mat pieces but I'm thinking that was to help them stay in position? Had the APU remounted through the frame so I no longer need the spacers. If I do need to use a coil mat it's not going to be able to go the whole length of the rack feet, I'll be doing it myself and don't have anything to lift the rack up with. Once the spacers are knocked out. Possibly could take a crow bar and lift it? Don't know how heavy it actually is, 3 door.?

Grubby, Shock Therapy and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've always seen a piece of mudflap or something rubber between the top of the frame rail and the headache rack. Not sure what its purpose is though.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    U bolts from the bottom up - and on the bottom side where the U wraps around frame rail , I put a piece of aluminum block between bolt and frame.

I was told to do this to prevent the frame rail cracking. (?)

Piece of mat on the top side wouldn’t hurt, I never did this.

Jack with long piece of 4by4 up from the ground to help lift a little? They’re not too heavy when empty.

Grubby, HalpinUout and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yes good point. The u-bolt will actually bend the lower flange upwards over time. A block in that location helps keep the rail true.

Now that I think about it, the rubber is more than likely a barrier to prevent aluminum and steel contact as the paint will wear off the frame under the headache rack as the frame flexes. This is assuming its an aluminum rack of course.

1johnb, Grubby, HalpinUout and 2 others Thank this.
  6. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I use an old piece of strap

7. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    The way it was explained to me many moons ago, the rubber mat is actually to prevent corrosion from occurring between the 2 different types of metal. Aluminum & steel don’t play well together when in direct contact with each other.

And here is the engineers scientific explanation.

“In severe environments, especially those with a high chloridecontent, attention must be paid to the risk of galvanic corrosion. Some form of insulation between aluminum and more noble metals (e.g. carbon steel, stainless steel, copper) is recommended”

8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    And we have winner

Highway Sailor and Grubby Thank this.
  9. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    It's the same reason why they usually have some type of material between an aluminum trailer and where the axle framing bolts to the aluminum frame.

Or the same for inner steel rims and aluminum outside rims. They usually have a felt type of pad so that they don't corrode. Makes for separating the rims much harder if you don't have the piece.

Also I think the rubber would also help so that ist can't move around. Adds a little more resistance so it can help same as using it under coil racks. So they can't shift

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's called Galvanic corrosion and you can read up on it. In a nutshell joining two dissimilar metals together causes a chemical reaction that causes corrosion to happen much, much faster than "normal"

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia

11. Dirty-Low-Walker

Dirty-Low-Walker Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I had a galvanized pry bar i used to lock a barn door on a dump trailer and stored it in the lower tray of a aluminum headache rack, it would sometimes vibrate in that tray while the truck was shut down, had to wrap it in a rag so the metal bar wasn't touching the aluminum.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.