Heartland express-90 day review

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Lucy in the Sky, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Heartless is so cheap they don't even give you a hat when you complete their orientation. Low miles, lot's of night driving. The dispatchers cheat you out of any extra pay they can get away with. Lots of unpaid detention at customers. If they get you into the Northeast they will jeep you there running short haul loads. The actual miles you drive and the miles you get paid for are not even close, so the high CPM they claim they pay you is pure BS. They don't like to pay tolls unless it's critical delivery Freight and they must approve it. so get used to driving all the extra unpaid miles on the back roads. If it Snows in the area your driving in they issue a shutdown until they think it's safe to drive. If you do keep driving they will terminate you.
    When you go through one of their Terminals expect to sit in line for an inspection, frequently for hours and not be paid anything for sitting there in your truck. Heartless is basically a bottom feeder company with a high driver turn over rate. They haul a lot of high dollar Freight for Big Name Fortune 500 Companies. And the way this company is run it is very profitable for the owners. They keep their contracts with these companies by maintaining on time deliveries. In order to do this Heartless exploits it's drivers. The Manager's- Owner's of Heartless don't care if the driver's are making good money, or are satisfied with their job. All this company cares about is making profits for the Owner's. The driver's lives are of secondary importance to this company. Their Trucks are more valuable to them then their Drivers. They can be replaced easily and Heartland Express knows it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    GirlFriday76, Dharok and hunted Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    At the same time drivers can easilly replace their companies. If I had a year experience I'd be gone. Really wish I had known about this site BEFORE applying to heartland. All of the threads on here with drivers negative expeirnces probably would have made me stay away. Also yes sitting in inspection lanes at terminals does suck...a lot

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  4. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Also air breeze I will agree with u on how they make drivers get the short end of the stick to get that "99.9%" on time delivery. If there is a hot load at a shipper vs one that doesn't pick up for a day they will give u the later because they don't want a late delivery. Basically they give u extra cushy appt Windows for loads and that is probably the most frustrating thing of all...

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  5. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Put in a year and try to avoid any Accidents or getting any tickets. Apply with other Companies and see what they offer before you quit the company your working for. Then if your ready to leave turn in your Tractor and don't quit when your under a load. Just be nice and courteous and tell them by by, Thanks for the memories!

6. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Stay away. Star FAR away. Heartland is basically a short-haul, regional outfit paying long-haul .cpm wages. If you add up all the time you spend waiting around for nothing, a fast food job pays better.

If drivers were compensated for all their time on the job, 90% of these "regional" outfits would be out of business in short order. And good riddance !!!!!

But if this sort of thing is your cup-of-tea, at least get on with JB Hunt. Their intermodal division doesn't pay badly, tho you're hauling the tail end of rail freight that men used to haul across country when the real money was to be made out there.

Air Breeze and carramrod32 Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    R+L hauls "anything, anywhere, anytime", and that includes both Walmart stores AND DCs.

8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I worked for Heartlands Texas Regional Fleet and had very few problems. Maybe because it was a salary position and it didnt matter how many miles I drove.

9. Air Breeze

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I drove Southeast Regional and then switched over to the National Fleet. I never heard much good about
    Heartland but I decided to give them a try because of the better than average CPM they paid. I was with
    them for almost 2 years. They talk a good game but in the end the money was not worth it to me.

10. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    That's why I'm not fooled by these ads at companies like heartland and other dry van companies promising 50 cents or more per mile. You run nothing but short haul crap, and your miles per week will be lower. You'll be expected mostly to spend half your day sitting in docks or waiting to get loaded or unloaded, and that's if you are lucky to be preplanned. You might do drop and hook, but then there's the fact the trailers at those companies are crap, sometimes as old as 10-12 years (like Veriha and their garbage trailers) , often in bad repair and a revolving door turnover of newbies who can't be bothered to fix them or sweep them it broke dropping at a shipper. .50 + might sound good, but in the end you'll make no more than what most other drivers make.

11. westcoast

westcoast Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2010
    los angeles, ca
    wow, 3500 a week for comp. driver. I at the wrong comp. for sure

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.