Help - Reefer not cooling after first cycle (start/stop)

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by hmpfletes, Sep 27, 2022.

1. hmpfletes

hmpfletes Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2022
    Hello everyone,
    Hope someone can help with this issue or provide guidance on how to solve it.

I have a reefer with a thermoking unit (sb210) that works just fine when you initially turn it on, the problem comes when it reaches the temp, shuts down and turns on again. The temp will come up to ambient temp. Looks like something is getting stuck after that first cycle.

Have any of you experienced that?

Thank you for the support!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    You say it comes up to ambient.Do you mean it runs on heat cycle? Not exactly sure what you mean.

4. hmpfletes

hmpfletes Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2022
    Hi,
    Basically it stops cooling after the first stop on cycle mode. I’ll try to explain the situation:
    I set the temp to 24F, start the unit, it cools to the 24F and stops, after the re-start, temp start to increase ignoring the setpoint.

I left the unit running overnight and I got codes 21 and 26.

5. reeferwrencher

Aug 4, 2018
    That's a strange problem but it seems like the 3 way valve is stuck in heat.Usually that happens after it comes out of heat/defrost cycle.After it restarts check if the pipe off the 3 way valve that runs into the back wall is getting hot if it is try tapping the valve with a hammer and see it it shifts to cool mode,if so the valve needs to be rebuilt.It could also be a problem with the pilot solenoid but check the 3 way valve first.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I'd check with thermo king about those codes, you may need to call a fridge mechanic. How does it go if you leave it on continuous run? Also check the grills it they get dirty it won't help it cool down, although it appears it is getting the temps down and just shutting off.

7. hmpfletes

hmpfletes Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2022
    Hello guys,
    just wanted to follow this up. The 3 way valve was replaced and seems like it is working now. Thank you so much!

Also, another question came up, is there a way to adjust the setpoint tolerances? The following is happening, not sure if it is how the reefer is supposed to work or not:
    I set the temp to lets say 24F, unit cools down to 24F and it shuts down (totally fine) but the temp keeps going down until it reaches 20F then the unit turns on and starts heating to keep the temp in 24F, it reaches 34 - 35F and starts cooling down again.

With this, the unit runs almost all the time without shutting down, not sure if the operational tolerances can be adjusted to open them up a little bit (+\- 8 F maybe?)

Any input is really appreciated.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    What is your battery voltage?

9. reeferwrencher

Aug 4, 2018
    You're running it on continuous or start/stop ?

10. hmpfletes

hmpfletes Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2022
    Start / Stop

11. reeferwrencher

Aug 4, 2018
    Sounds like you have almost the same problem as before.Who did the 3 way valve on it? And as previous comment asked what is your battery voltage and amp output? You can get this info by going to gauges on the controller.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.