Help request's lacking information, Read this first!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Goodysnap, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Good Morning all and Happy Holidays!!!!

I consider myself to be a newbie to this forum, but the time I have been here I have noticed something that I think there is room to improve on. It seems that there are a wealth of post that are severely lacking proper information that would be required to even come close to being able to help someone get in the neighborhood of solving their concern. I see a lot of-" hey I have this white truck with this flashy thingy going off and vibrating" What's wrong with it?

I propose that a sticky be put up to request with at least the basic vehicle information such as-
    1-Make Model and Year
    2-Last 8 VIN digits-"If you don't want to post this you don't need free help that bad"
    3-Engine and transmission model along with serial numbers if a specific problem is related to one
    4-Approx miles
    5-Photos go along ways- put em' up.

There a ton of post on here where if this information was provided to begin with I know for sure I would be able to respond and help. I know there are others here that would do the same. Not to mention not having to ask for the information because it is already there on the first post.

Maybe a separate help request section all together here in the garage? Additional thoughts and suggestions?

Just brain storming on some days off. Enjoy your family's everyone and have a great New Year!!!!!

Goody

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes! You hit the nail right on the head. "BEFORE POSTING HELP QUESTIONS... READ THIS!!!!
    Then have your list. You are so right. Nothing more frustrating than trying to help someone with a post that literally can't be any more vague.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Totally agree!

I can't count the number of posts where it just says "Help, my turn signal doesn't work" or something like that. I usually just move on to the next thread. I love helping others out just as much as anyone else but we need to have more to go off of in most cases.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sadly this is true for me too. Most of them just want their free help and disappear anyway.

6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Gotta disagree...truck drivers have opinions about everything without the benefit of information about anything... merry Christmas ya'll!

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sometimes the quality of the asking

"Help! this busted widget does not work anymore."

is of vague and nothing that can be used to help as to be worthless. I would like to think that TTR is not busted and does not work anymore. " //TEASING.

Merry Christmas.

8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    "Help how do I drive this thing"

9. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    While we are at it how about a sticky with frequently asked questions and answers and possibly stickys in each truck section with related ride height values, engine digrams, ect. Alot of us have posted tons of usefull info, it would be nice to get it gather in one place rather then lost in the forum.

10. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    I just stuck this thread. It accomplishes what your asking for and I agree. I do change the titles to be more specific, so that people know what's being asked, but it would help if people would title their threads with more detail than, "I need help." This doesn't bring in the experts that can help with the problem. But if they title with the make, year and issue going on, then they get answered quickly and usually with excellent advice.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  11. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US
    Good luck with that!

I spent the last year before I retired working phone orders and customer service for a large parts and accessories outfit, and at least half if not more of the people calling in to price or even order any parts did not know the make of their truck.

If they could finally figure the make, the model of truck would completely stump them.

The year of manufacture would throw them into a tail spin.

Then even if they could come up with all if the above, if they needed a part under the hood, type of motor would cause utter silence on the phone.

I've even be told (for example) that they have a KW and that the vin was T600, or that they had a volvo FLD.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.