Here I come Con-Way Freight LTL

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by TakinItEasy, Oct 11, 2013.

1. TakinItEasy

TakinItEasy Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2012
    OKC, OK
    I just got hired with Con-Way with a start date of October 21st. I have my CDL with all endorsements and come from SWIFT transportation. I've been with SWIFT since January and decided its time to get home every night and make a decent pay check. I am starting this thread for any drivers that have questions on the hiring process and the training. I will try to keep this thread up to date and hope to meet some fellow drivers that are on here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kingk

kingk Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Congratulations.

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sounds good, good on you. What's the starting pay, and are you running schedule or wild?

5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    He will most likely being running wild. A mix of both P/D and line-haul until you get senority to be able to hold one or the other extra board. Then you can choose which one to stay on. Ive done both in LTL and I prefer line-haul better, I dont like dealing with people too much.

Get used to using a forklift as well, you will use that more than you'll be driving likely. Its the same here at UPSF, until you get some senority. I worked at CWF 2 years ago so Im not too sure how they do things now, two guys CenutryClass and Jakebrake12 both work there and they will help you out along the way.

You will be much happier doing LTL rather than being OTR. I never went OTR, the most OTR I had is being a road driver, I used to go all around the northeast, I was home majority of the time, but sometimes I was on layovers. i dont believe CWF does layovers though

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  6. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    We had one guy tht came from truckload, and maybe I should cut him some slack but I thought he was lazy. All I am saying you are in for a rude awakening if you think this is a 10 hr and go home job. Pretty sure there is a big hub in OKC, and if thats where you are going, be prepared to drive a forklif alot, dont expect to drive any, if at all. It's winter time, freight is getting slow. Though there is enough work system wide but we stuff more and more on CRST and Werner and any other cheap carrier you can think of. Its really pathetic. I work at barn that is kinda unique in the system in that we run relays for 3-4 different states so we stay kinda busy. But alot of times 4-5 guys at the top would take off, and you think crap maybe Ill get a good run that night. What do they do, cut the run and throw it on a 53.
    It might be a step up from swift, so I guess that is something to be excited about. This is just the god honest truth about con-way from someone who started at the bottom and got to land a bid, so its very rare that i get called off. But with the way this company is going, all I can tell you is good luck to ya.

road_runner Thanks this.
  7. Dan31840

Dan31840 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013
    They'll screw you over.

8. Kfc_1134

Kfc_1134 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Lone Grove, OK.
    First off congrats. But how r u going to get home daily?? U day cabbing or running for a certain acct?

9. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    every thing we do is home daily

10. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    wow i didnt want to scare him about all that right away... UPSF yard look like CRST and other cheap carrier yards... I really hope we win that fight to get rid of them all and pull our own freight

11. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Light Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Bridgeville, DE
    Congrats on the move. I think it really depends on where you work for CWF as to what you will end up doing. I started at XSA in June ( coming from Truckload) and have drove from day one ( either covering linehaul guys on vacation, or doing P&D). I have a 1045 start time which I love and rarely drive a forklift. It's a lot more active work than OTR which I like, and yes, I'm home everyday or night. They've already hired 3 guys after me, so I think I came on at good time. I pretty much get the same run everyday and it's nice starting to get to know all the people at my stops, although some are a holes too, but I just drop in and roll out without saying much at those stops. Keep a positive attitude and do your job and you'll be fine.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.