High oil pressure?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dwilber1993, May 22, 2022.

1. Dwilber1993

Dwilber1993 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2022
    So I apologize in advance if this seems like a rookie question. I consider myself a rookie as I am always learning something new.

I am currently driving a 2013 cascadia glider kit truck with a pre 2000 engine on paper logs. I apologize I don't know the year of the motor but I do know it's a Detroit.

One of the first warnings I was given was to never overfill oil as it can lead to bad things. However up until now I have never really had a reason to worry about high oil pressure. I'm used to seeing 20 ish psi for oil pressure

We are having issues with the truck Involving the coolant system sensors. In the process of checking things over today I noticed it was on the low end of the dip stick so I added oil. Slowly. In between each smaller pour I waited roughly 5-10 minutes to let the oil get to the pan and checked it. It didn't seem to move. So I added some a third time and it moved a little on the dip stick roughly 1/32 of an inch.

I then started the truck and the check engine light popped on then off then on then off and stayed off but if revved it pops on then goes away again

To be more specific temp is halfway between 150 and 175, oil pressure shows halfway between 25 and 50 what I would assume to be 37ish psi. Idling between 600-700 rpm. pedal to the floor is 50-55 psi. The truck is idled overnight due to not having an apu,

So here are my two questions:

1) is 37 psi (halfway between 25 and 50 on the gauge) too high while considered cold? What is considered too high?

2) is there a better way to gauge adding oil to prevent the concern at all? My boss refuses to buy smaller jugs of oil. I know that may seem dumb and I apologize but it is a legitimate question.

I apologize for the long post but I have been looking this up for almost two hours and nobody really says anything about high pressures or anything.

Bean Jr. and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    How much did you add? From low mark to high mark is a lot of oil. We're talking over a gallon.

1. No, that's not too high. Even my ISX is that high cold, and they're a "high volume low pressure" engine.

2. You'll just get better at knowing how much to add. And you don't need to wait. Pour in a half gallon, and it's ready to check by the time you set the jug on the ground.

4. Dwilber1993

Dwilber1993 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2022
    Wow that was a very quick response lol thank you for that. And on the dipstick it was showing just above Low. after adding oil it showed halfway between low and halfway up. I know I didn't add a gallon. I would say (as a guess) between 1-3 quarts

I attached a picture to show current.

Attached Files:

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    My 1995 12.t S60 Detroit runs at 55PSI @1500 rpm. About 30 PSI at idle.

If you're idling overnight I'd be inclined to raise RPM's to high idle - 1,000 RPM.

God prefers Diesels and nikmirbre Thank this.
  6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yea at about 1500 rpms my 96 12.7 hits 55-60 psi.

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Most dipsticks require a gallon between low and high marks. Usually.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.