High wind, light load, how long should I wait it out?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Harry Flashman, Dec 8, 2021.

1. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Remember it’s more about you than what you are hauling

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
  4. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Winds usually peak in the mornings and evenings. If you're not sure about the winds on your route you can check WY wind sensors on I-80 for current readings.

5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I am so glad I don't drive that lane anymore. I despise that Interstate......as well as where it ends up heading west!

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Blow-over risk is possible once winds reach about 50-60 mph and the angle it hits the vehicle. When the WY DOT issues "road closed to light, high-profile vehicles" it's not a closure of the road. If you choose to drive you are not breaking a law. However if you blow over and block the road or other traffic you get to pay a big fine and the costs of the vehicles that respond to clean up the mess you caused.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Pull a tanker. The high winds are just something you read about online and hear drivers complaining about on the CB, until you can't open your truck door or can't walk to the door of the truck stop. ;-)

8. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    The wind might seem okay at 35-45mph but when you get to a spot where the terrain funnels it into a ravine you'll wish you hadn't tempted fate. If anyone gives you grief for parking just try to have the conversation with them while standing outside.

9. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Hello Harry Flashman,

"Large Sail Trucking".

Updates??

10. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I wouldnt move it. Few years back when i was doing mail runs i had 18k in the box woth 60ph gusts and what was likely a 70mph side gust lifted my trailer and nearly rolled me. As a rule if your under 25k dont move in 60mph gusts. All it takes is one 65 or 70 mph gust to throw you on your side. Better a late load then a rollover or jackknife into a ditch

11. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I rolled with 8,000 lbs of plastic playground equipment from Fargo to Bismarck a few years ago in 50 mph gusts from the south. Even though the speed limit was 75 and I had a 73 mph truck I never went over 55 mph with it and kept it upright. The trailer was off-tracking onto and occasionally over the fog line. Would I do it again? I don't know. I got through it ok, but it was a bit stressful, never knowing if a gust is going to be the one that lays it over.

seagreg, D.Tibbitt, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.