Home Brew APU

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by mightymike, Oct 11, 2010.

1. mightymike

mightymike Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Southeast,USA
    Ran into a guy who had a Coleman Commercial Gas Generator mounted to his deckplate, and an $89 Zentih window mount AC unit in his Passenger window.The whole setup cost him under a grand, and the wall unit sat in a piece of plywood that just rested in the window, and bungeed down to his steps for quick set up. I worked suprisingly well. As well as a Tripac, that according to him cost $10000 to install/ 5000 to repair. It even had a remote control, and unlike my tripac, the auto temp control actually worked to maintain a temp.

It was a little loud, but with a muffler, this could be as quiet as a car.

If I were to do this, I would mount the AC unit in the Window above the top bunk, or under the bunk in that door. Have a muffler guy install a muffler further away from the cab. I might even go deisel, so I could fill up at the same time.

Also you need a Carbon Monoxide dectector to be safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    how long before that a/c unit is rattled into pieces ?????

4. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    I've wondered about the vibration factor.

I'm seeing more and more of these windows units mounted on trucks. Another idea is to use a RV a/c unit. I have seen a few of these mounted on tractors.

5. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    Buy them at a box store,

they will exchange them out.

But that isn't right !!!

6. mightymike

mightymike Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Southeast,USA
    In this guys case, He takes it down when he drives, or it would block view out his passenger window. If it was a permanent mount, that would definately be an issue, but maybe with some good padding it could be doable. (probably better in the side door) Otherwise you might be back to spend another $89.

Either way, I got a kick out of seeing a working man's solution to an expensive problem. He obviously couldn't afford the 10 grand, but didn't want to have to roast/freeze because of no idle policies.

This one ranks right up there with the garage spring sleeper bunk hammock I saw when running team line-haul for CF in trucks with no air ride and arm strong steering. (not all/ but some)

7. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
  8. Independent

Independent Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I think it is disgusting that every truck from the factory does not come with some sort of APU system already built into the cost of the truck. Every truck should have some sort of Espar/Webasto diesel heater as a standard feature in this day of anti-idling legislation.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  9. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    That day is coming soon. The problem is that the prices of these new trucks have increased so much due to the EPA mandated exaust reburn systerms etc, that adding the cost of an apu is causing depreciation problems with fianancing. These crappy half-assed rates cant continue for much longer...

10. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS

Your preaching to the choir about this, Tell the lack of knowledge officials when they pass these ridiculous laws.

11. PharmPhailPartsReplacer

PharmPhailPartsReplacer Not to be confused with DinosPartsReplacer

Sep 7, 2009

If you build your own system an R/V heat and A/C unit would be better than using a household type a/c unit . I wouldn't want a gas powered generator though, I would be too worried about the exhaust (carbon monoxide) fumes not just for myself but for anyone sleeping down wind from me. With that said, I've considered buiding my own system but, when I compared apples to apples, so to speak, with long term use/ efficiency I determined that buying a manufactured complete unit would be more cost effective .

rookietrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.