Horsepower

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sangtito, Sep 20, 2018.

1. sangtito

sangtito Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2018
    hi, I’m a newbie on driving semi and my question on buying a truck is that if, say I’m qualified to finance a truck, do I really need to get the 500hp so that I could pull heavier loads or it’ll be enough with 450hp?
    I just want to buy one and try not to limit my choices on taking loads.
    But, I also not planning on pulling extra heavy oversize either.
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My suggestion would be to get some experience first. I'm trying to be helpful, not rude, but your question really tells me you're nowhere near ready to own a truck. Do you have a CDL yet?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Take a a few years of driving to learn how it all works.

5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you've got less power, you can still pull 80,000 lbs. You might end up doing it slower or in a lower gear, but we're hauling freight, not racing.

The advice that someone new should take some time to learn it is good advice, but it really has nothing to do with what is being asked. If they drive the same truck for 2 years, they're still not going to have the answer to the question they've asked. It's like reading a question about a product on Amazon, and reading the answer "I don't know". It doesn't do any good. So either help someone out so they can learn, or be honest and tell them you hate competition or something.

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mo power, mo better!

6rider, Diesel Dave, sangtito and 5 others Thank this.
  7. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Most of the fleet spec trucks on the roads today are 450 or less, they aren’t king of the mountain but they get it done slowly but surely..

I have 475 now and definitely want more , I’m gonna get a big un next time around

sangtito and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If you aren't doing this at every stop light you need more power!

[​IMG]

9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I started out hauling 2 loads at the same time. 80 to 90k on the trailer pulling it with a 350 hp big cam cummins. You just go slower.
    Just sold my 2003 KW W900L with a 600 hp cat I bought brand new and it was nice but honestly if you used it to its full potential all it does is eat more fuel and tires.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The key here is Torque. All the HP is only as good as what makes it to the ground when it comes to climbing a hill.My Stock Detroit May dyno more HP than my old Cat. But the Cat had more torque making it better going up a hill. MIne thing is Drivability. It sucks to be crawling up a hill at 5 mph for a mile. But if you’re just running around on flat land. Don’t really need more than 375 hp.But it’s nice to have

sangtito and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.