HOS rules for part time gig

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Fredlikestrucks, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Fredlikestrucks

Fredlikestrucks Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Hello,

So I work full-time for a local company here in California, five days a week and eight hours a day (7:30am till 4pm). My days off are Sunday and Monday. I recently found a gig with a FedEx Ground contractor working a couple of nights a week and it pays $300 a night. I would do it full time but he doesn't offer any benefits and I rather keep my full-time day job and do this for extra cash.

The million dollar question is: Can I work Saturday night and Sunday night or am I limited to just Sunday night as to not to go over my 14 hour daily limit? I really wish he had day shift runs but he only does nights. If I could do two days with him, along with my full time job I would be looking at close to $7,500/month gross pay. As a newbie that seems pretty exciting but at the same time I don't want to find myself in some hot water.

Thank you :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    14 hour would always apply, save a couple specific conditions. Like 16 hour for adverse conditions or the 16 hour "big day" exemption. Neither would apply to you.

Saturday, you would have to be finished driving at 9:30 pm. Same if you wanted to work Monday night also, because of the 10 hour break required you can be on duty no later than 9:30 pm and make the Tuesday morning run.

Plus, most companies don't want their employees to work a second job because all those hours have to be tracked. If both are motor carriers, then by both. plus, even if you are on a time card for the main company, you still have to 60/70 hour clock to deal with, which may make Tuesday a very tight day depending on the hours for the weekend runs.

heyns57 and Fredlikestrucks Thank this.
  4. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    Trust me dot, state troopers, even your company won't know what your doing on the side run it there always a risk but the risk is nill.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Until there is a wreck, doesn't even have to be a bad one. Just bad enough to get insurance companies involved and the claim denied because he shouldn't have been there thanks to HOS.

roshea, tscottme and Fredlikestrucks Thank this.
  6. St1714

St1714 Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Orange County
    Any referrals for weekend work?

7. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    Zvar put the kabash on it he said its illegal to do so unless your a rebel without a cause.

Fredlikestrucks Thanks this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I disagree with that statement. No reputable company would allow such behavior.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Some of these FedEx owners are scum, they will hire people who work another job, ignore the fact that there is a legal limit and if there is an accident, they cover their own butts with FedEx help.

so to the op, when you get into an accident or have an incident, the insurance company won’t cover anything to do with you, and if you are injured, good luck getting anything paid.

tscottme and Fredlikestrucks Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What do the regulations say?

From the Guidance section of 395.8

Question 11: Is a driver who works for a motor carrier on an occasional basis and who is regularly employed by a non-motor carrier entity required to submit either records of duty status or a signed statement regarding the hours of service for all on-duty time as “on-duty time” as defined by §395.2?

Guidance:

Yes.

Now we get into the rules and real-life situations. If you do this what are the chances of being caught? I would say the chances are VERY low. However, @ZVar is correct about unforeseen circumstances. Personally, if I were in this same situation and needed the extra cash but wanted to retain the benefits from my regular job I might consider doing this. I might add many others have done it. Still, I would remind you to what I said in post #38 in this thread. It also applies to this situation. As these databases grow and become more and more encompassing the chances of getting caught through a regular audit trail grow. 20 or so years ago my answer would be to go on ahead just be careful. Today, I advise using extreme caution in doing so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.