Hourly pay dilemma when running local.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Jan 23, 2022.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    So you’re clocking in at 4am, then doing nothing for 3 hours? Most jobs would call that time theft, which would be a fireable offense, like most types of theft.

Why don’t you just ask your boss if it’s ok or not? You’ll get a concrete answer instead of the random opinions you get here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    How many employees does your boss have stealing 64 dollars a day 3-4 days a week from him?

MadScientist and nredfor88 Thank this.
  4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    If you got paid by the load, your thinking would hold water, but you’re paid by the hour. If I were your boss, I would tell you not to clock in until 7:00 if you don’t want to grab the load early.

I mean if you don’t want to work an extra load, fine, but you shouldn’t expect your boss to pay you not to work.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you are paid by the hour, stop rushing. The company I worked for and got paid hourly couldn't reward good drivers for going above and beyond because everything was decided based on seniority. If you are in that situation just make your day as relaxed and comfortable as you want.

Canadianhauler21 and Siinman Thank this.
  6. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    We are a small 15 truck fleet, we don't have any management. The owner just assigns us loads and tells us "take your time and enjoy your work". Doesn't say anything else. Until someone says something I'll just continue working at my current pace. Going above and beyond wasn't really doing anything for me. The owner is a multi-millionare so I doubt he's affected much.

Frank Speak, prostartom and tscottme Thank this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    So why even ask here? It seems like the opinions are solidly mixed between do what you want and stop stealing from your job.

If you want an actual correct answer, all you have to do is ask your boss. If you’re too afraid to do that, then you have your answer about whether or not it’s ok.

8. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    I was just curious to see what other drivers though. The bag is mixed. I got the answer I was looking for from here. Why bust balls on an hourly job for the same pay?

9. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Getting paid and not working is stealing as far as I’m concerned. Hope they fire you.

10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    So basically I need to work every second of everyday that I'm working getting paid by the hour. Don't stop go piss or anything. Don't even bother eating lunch because I get paid by the hour. Don't bother even checking my phone because I get paid by the hour. You see how stupid your argument is?

The company has me on a schedule, I follow the schedule exactly how it is. Never late. Always early.

11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    But you didn't just stop to eat or use the restroom, you decided you were going to sit around with your thumb up your ### for 3 hours doing nothing, see how stupid your argument is? You're on here asking if it's right, tells me you already know it isn't and need some strangers to justify it for you.

jmz, cke, MadScientist and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.