How cold to leave running ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cat sdp, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Anyone tried this

98D22EDD-8DB3-42C5-AF3E-A3219102224A.png

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    After minus 10 and I've got northern fuel on in running equipment with 10 hour breaks ill start thinking about fuel treatment .
    Its a waste of money before that .

Lepton1 and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Anything below 20 +. Treated fuel or not. Every heater i've had would suffer some type of fuel line freeze around that mark. Not all the time but it does happen. Webasto or Espar.

I also had to place a road call in wyoming at 15 degrees. The webasto lasted 10 hours. But the truck wouoldn't start due to fuel pump relay. And the webasto decided to gell at that time. I ended up hanging out inside the truckstop for most of the day waiting for mechanic.

15 degrees and only 3 trucks managed to leave that morning. The rest of us waited for mechanics.

5. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Treated fuel you should be good to -10- 15F without gelling. Only two times Ive gelled is when Ive dumped anti gel in tanks and parked truck and didn't idle enough for treated fuel to circulate through system. You have to remember to dump TWICE the amount of anti gel when its below 0F. So if you have 90 gal tanks and I usually do half a bottle of howes in each tank. When its below 0F I dump a whole bottle (1/2 gal) into each 90 gal tank.

Grubby, Oxbow and Cat sdp Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The only time I've seen gelled fuel is when we'd get stuff imported from overseas. That Euro/Japanese diesel gels at like -10C. We run winter fuel from pretty much October to April so gelling is rarely ever an issue for us.

Grubby and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    My fuel never gels. I don’t add anything. It’s a #1 and #2 blend.

I leave my truck on when I don’t feel like using ether the next day. Usually 0 or below.

drh72 Thanks this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Not down here... you can’t trust 3/4 of the fuel distributors

Roger McG and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  9. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    I actually work for a fuel company so I never buy the crap anywhere else.

Yeah we’ve never had a complaint about our fuel. We fuel fleets and machinery and that kind of thing. We don’t dump fuel at truck stops. We do transports but just to the big companies who go through a ton.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Another time my truck gelled up is when I got biodiesel in Iowa Love's and went to Minnesota and sat there for 34hr reset and it went -15F at night and it gelled up right at fuel/water separator. I only used one bottle of anti gel cause company didn't want to pay for two bottles and that's all Ive had.
    they did have to pay $400 bill when service truck showed up though.

Farmerbob1, Grubby, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Do companies tell you what grade to get? When I used to drive somewhere else I just had a company card I could use on anything so I always charged my fuel to that. I’d always get #1 in the winter. I’m not messing around with bio when it’s -20 out in northern mn.

Grubby and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.