How cold to leave running ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cat sdp, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The only problem is if you add Howes or powerserve then don't give it time to mix and just leave it off.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Mine started to....it’s sat for 72 hours all below 0F. With block heater only .

It gonna run now , 11pm liftoff and forecast temp -15F....

Ruthless and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I just had this conversation with one of our maintenance guys. I know, in the past, we had my truck set where it idles below 10degrees. He argued that a FL with idle management can not be set to idle continuously, because that's what idle management is for. I didn't ask him if it could be set that way. I asked him what temp was set at. I know it'll idle continuously. It did it last night. So if someone tells you a Detroit in a cascadia can not be programmed to idle continuously, go to a different shop. They can be set to do it. Now, whether yours will or not depends on who set the parameters and for what settings.

5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Pointers from someone who lived in the northern plains:

1. Blend your fuel! I rarely ran #1 during the week, as the fuel heaters would take care of things as long as temps didn't drop below -20F for extended periods. I'd also treat for conditions, as I didn't really trust the truckstop blends. But when it's time to shut off the truck in arctic conditions, your fuel needs to have ~50% #1.
    2. I always ran semi-synthetic oil in winter, as I didn't have a way to power the block heater where I parked. The motor will spin like it's springtime when it's time to fire up. It's an amazing difference from normal oil, and oil pressure was almost instantaneous on cold starts, a far cry from the hammering a cold motor takes with mineral-based oil.
    3. FYI, you can buy the concentrated Power Service, and it's significantly cheaper than buying the small bottles. You just have to keep a measuring cup of some sort in the side box, as it only takes a few ounces per tank. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...41/2000/jeep/grand-cherokee?manufacturer=true That's enough for ~3500 gals, for just over a $100.
    4. Biodiesel is not your friend. Always, always, ALWAYS, double treat bio.
    5. Try to have full tanks if you shut the truck off. It really cuts down on condensation in the tanks. And either way, the next time you stop for fuel, make sure to drain the water separator, which is something you should be checking on a regular basis anyways.
    6. Service your air dryer every fall. There should be nothing coming out of your tank drains if your dryer is properly functioning. A bit of oil mist on an older truck is the most you should ever see.

6. Frontman

Frontman Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
  7. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    You can get Power Service or Howes at Wal Mart way cheaper than any truck stop or Oreilly's

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    That’s true except his link is for 2 1/2 gallons of concentrated power service.....

320oz/3750 gallons treated for $109

I did the math 6 different ways....you can’t beat that price

laaylor, magoo68, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    My only question would be, how do you make sure that it gets properly mixed in before getting sucked through the engine? Seems like it might work if you put it in before fueling, but not as much after.

10. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Oreilly's $17.99 $.072/gal
    WalMart 16.44 $.066/gal

These are in the $20 range on special at the truckstop. They used to be much cheaper at Wal-Mart than what they currently are. Either way, the concentrate is still less than half the price.

Concentrate $109.99 $.029/gal

11. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Except in emergencies, you should always be adding your additive before you fuel.

RERM and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.