How do we change things, not just "fix" them industry wide?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mikamikael, Jul 31, 2022.

1. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    That caldo de res needs more beef!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    1. Start auditing the driving schools. it should not be to ensure the student passes the test and nothing else especially for the amounts that they are charging. If a school is shut down because its a diploma mill do not allow the same people to open another school under a different name.
    2. Get rid of CPM. CPM is an outdated system that works for a company and not a driver. All CPM does for a driver is encourage aggressive driving for the more miles you get the more you get paid. One of the many reasons I stopped driving OTR was that I was tired of doing too many tasks that I was not paid for. With a flat hourly rate now I get paid for every aspect of my job
    3.. Start punishing these fly by night companies that hire poorly skilled and trained drivers that are responsible for the majority of the accidents on the road. Too many of these companies get massive fines so they just declare bankruptcy and open a week later under a different name.

4. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    Don't think that anything is going to change anytime soon. I started driving 40 years ago. A driver made enough to raise a family on 1 wage. We had time to stop and sit down for meals, which we could also afford. 40 years ago I was making $45,000 year. In the last 17 years I have received 1 wage increase. I basically stuck with it until I was able to retire at 70 at the end of July. I don't see any hope. Now everything is rush,rush,rush.

5. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    Just for fun I ran that salary through the bank of Canada inflation calculator and the equivalent salary in today dollars is $139,000.

6. MSQUARED

MSQUARED Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2021
    That's inane considering top end company drivers today if lucky might make 80-90 k and that's probably including alot of OT....

7. 03machwon

03machwon Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Lol those numbers are closer to starting wage than top end....I'm a company driver n last year I make $114k after tax. Working only 8.5 months. Home daily, plus weekends off for 4 of those months....n 1 other coworker made 122k.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  8. MSQUARED

MSQUARED Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2021
    What do you haul? And u working oil field?

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  10. Florescent-android92

Florescent-android92 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2021
    That does seem to be the average in Alberta. Line haul pays about 80-100k on a 50ish hour work week, with the better companies anyways. Long haul general freight trucking seems to be a waste of time as far I can tell.

11. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Correct, OTR anything (Van,Reefer,Deck,SeaCan) is a total waste of time, and I work for an OTR company in Management. Our city drivers make more after 3 months on a 50hr work week, than our top OTR guys do being out 24 days a month. Even running the US open board, it’s trash; Canada only is POVERTY.

It sucks because I like my job in the office, but as a former driver-O/O a lot of this #### bugs me. However, seeing a-lot of #### the current drivers pull, that bit of sympathy is fading fast lol. The stuff these cameras/ELDs catch is pretty wild (samsara) and the damage to the trailers daily is mind boggling.

Quick Example, we had a driver, set his cruise, and get out of the seat to grab snacks from the sleeper/fridge lol.

We had a trailer dropped in the yard, with the 2 outside passenger side tires missing. (Rims still there, no rubber) the guy took the DVIR photos and marked it clean lol. The tires are literally missing in the photos.

When is meteor?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.