How does a driver log this?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Timin770, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    It is not like the ELD equipped truck has a 100,000 volt shocking device directed to the steering wheel or sleeper or any other part of the unit when you run out of hours, rendering the vehicle inoperative.
    The procedure as outlined by the FMCSA is to drive to a safe legal place to park, and make a notation about the circumstances that caused the violation. Your safety dept might ask you for further details. If they take what you consider inappropriate action, like firing you, the ELD law has ways to prevent that abuse.

Bank_Lbr and DSK333 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Oh I already knew how I'd log it. I was just wondering what the ELD cheerleaders would do. So far, not much more than name-calling

4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Yes, lol but using some of the oldtimers' outlaw argument, the brakes being popped means the vehicle is now in control by the brakes. So then the refer to the regs that say "off duty in a parked commercial vehicle".

I think I would just log it On Duty with the option to edit it out later. First it a major news international story. Then get my camera out and steam it live lol.

5. ChainUp

ChainUp Bobtail Member

May 7, 2018
    Right on driverdriver:
    "On duty not driving" cause your #### truck and trailer ain't movin!
    Or, if you're sitting under that bridge for at least a half-hour then it's your break within 8 hours.
    Or, if you're out of time then why are you stopping there instead of the rest stop in front of you?

6. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    I would've said "Sure Officer I'll help"!! Then just kept driving to continue my route. The guy would've jumped the second he got up there if he really was going to do it. Just hang yourself in your home so you don't ruin anybody's day.... Geesh.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't give a ####. Im under that bridge with the rest of em.

I respect your thoughts and comments with great sincerity. But there are times that all the ... laws, books that contain them and the overly excessive BS has to be burned for whatever it takes to save a man or woman from him or herself.

If our Nation begins to prosecute all or some of those drivers who incurred unemployment, violations, caught for wants and warrants or anything tangled badly against them for trying to sit under that bridge a little while to prevent someone from going splat for eternity....

is not my Nation anymore. Follow me?

I feel that people are good, decent and for the most part able to source a group of like minded people with a singular goal in mind such as these truckers lining under that bridge when necessary or the oppertunity is necessary for such a situation.

Anyone who dares to fire such a driver, prosecute them in safety talk for violation on ELD or even prosecute them for blocking the freeway or running out of time or putting them into unemployement? Those are the ones who should take a moment and reevaluate why they are in the trucking business. It might very well have been that suicide jumper who went UNDER ONE OF THIER rigs at 80 mph. With all the millions in potential losses. HA.,...

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Put the truck in reverse and find a way with no bridges.

9. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    It's simple.. if you not driving sitting in driver seat and waiting to clear it on duty.. if you're asked to stay for unknown time get some sleep and noted as off or sleep.. they will wake you up. Than use split. I doo that all the time if road closed for any reason. Few inspections by DOT never asked why

10. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    To be honest I'd find it hard to sleep thinking about having to clean hair teeth and eyeballs off my windshield
    I might find it a little bit hard to sleep thinking about the hair teeth and eyeballs that might end up on my windshield

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    You have the load rescheduled. Nobody is going to have a problem with that given the curcumstance.

How should it be done? Sit there for hours and continue on the way pencilwhipping things to look ok while your day is a few hours longer? For a load of what? Is it that fricken important? No, youd do the same thing on elogs as paper, if you were responsible enough to do so. Some are a slave to the paper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.