How is oilfield trucking different than regular OTR trucking?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Dec 8, 2021.

1. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Yeah quite a few do, you just need to read some craigslist ads and make some phone calls. If you're serious you could be there doing your saftey crap and working within a week. They get a ton of calls and emails but the majority of people never show up, don't be one of those people.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bret1984

Bret1984 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Detmar Logistics and Fevid are both hiring drivers with no prior oilfield experience in WTX.

4. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    That depends, my first oilfield job was in a day cab doing salt water also my first local job. However there are companies in WTX hiring for frac sand and they typically run sleeper trucks. That's what I'm doing now.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  5. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    The only time I slip seated was with day cabs hauling salt water. I slept at home as it was a local job. I had a 45min commute to work in the morning then about a 3hr commute back home from work in the evening.

6. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    What type of trailer is frac sand hauled in?

Bret1984 Thanks this.
  7. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    My biggest problem with the oilfield really isn't much of a problem because I know how to deal with it. You always have that one driver at every company that wants to play the safety police/enforcer of company policies. He gets off on lecturing the other drivers especially the new drivers. Every company has that driver. My line for him is "Does your name appear on my paycheck?" If no then "mind your own truck!". If he threatens to report me I'll write my name out for him and tell him to be sure not to misspell it. That normally eliminates that problem. So anyhow that's how you deal with that guy in the oilfield and like I said there's one of him at every company. The actual safety guys are in white pickups not another big truck.

8. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    There's a few types. There's one company called Sand Revolution that runs sand in modified belly dumps. CIG has something kind of similar. Then there's the sand boxes which are on a container chassis. Then I run a pneumatic tanker with sand blower. I like the pneumatics best personally but there are those who will disagree and prefer another method for sand hauling.

9. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Do you not agree with safety?

You must be a super trucker, eh?

10. 501knight

501knight Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2021
  11. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    No, I'm not a super trucker and I get along great with everyone in safety. I always get compliments and thumbs up from the actual company safety guys when they are out and about checking up on us. Who I don't get along with are know it all super truckers trying to lecture me on how to do my job when they don't even know what's going on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.