How is TWT?

Discussion in 'TWT' started by megahurt5, Feb 25, 2015.

1. megahurt5

megahurt5 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I'm a student in my first week of school and test for my permit tomorrow, but have spoken with some of their recruiters already. I understand they're a divison of TSI, along with System Transport and JWJ... but this appears to be the relevant subforum and the only information looks like it's a few months (or more) old now.

I'm curious to know if anybody here is currently driving for them and what it's like? Right now they seem like a decent enough place to start at .40cpm and the rest of their pay/bonuses appear to be close to normal, but I am completely new to this and have yet to actually enter in to the industry. I'd like to know at least the basics of the company from someone with some more experience and ideally involved recently with the company... and not just a recruiter, even if they seemed straight forward enough.

What's the orientation like? What kind of testing and training can I expect from it? Recruiter said it would take 3 days and involve a written test, physical, drug screening, then driving test with some leniency - and that you'll ride out with a trainer immediately following your orientation. Is this all accurate, and what kind of training (powerpoint? videos? CBT? listening to someone stand and talk to you for 8+ hours?) should be expected? Also, how's the hotel/food/etc.? Seem it's $300 paid for the orientation?

How was the actual training? Seems like it's a mandatory 8 weeks (for newbies), at $500/week. Are the trainers usually competent, and can I expect to learn...? Or will it be closer to someone looking to take team loads and earn off of my miles? I was told at least four weeks will be with the trainer in the passenger seat, and then 4 will be team loads - but once again I want to be sure.

How's the equipment? Assigned trucks? Am I going to have to slipseat or be forced to team after my training, or once I solo out can I get in to my own truck and not worry about sharing a space? I'm not going to get through training, be ready to solo out, get a truck and then break down within 30 days and waiting for repairs or another truck, am I? Supposedly every tractor is equipped with APUs and inverters. Is this true?

How many miles should I expect to drive weekly? Are 2500-3000 miles a week reasonably available as long as I can manage my time and get them done? How are the runs? Am I going to be given reasonable enough time to deliver and meet deadlines, or am I going to be given a load at the last minute and just told "MAKE it happen." ? Do I need to drive System/reefer for 6-12 months before I can even make it to something like TWT/flatbed? Any forced dispatch? How is dispatch, especially on weekends... any issues at all?

How good are they at paying you? .40cpm sounds great for starting out, actually better than most of what I've seen or heard of so far (at the very least, for a brand new driver fresh from school...), but do they pay on time? How are pay raises? Bonuses?

How do they treat their drivers overall? Is working for them a good experience, or something you would recommend to a friend or starting driver?

If anyone takes the time to answer these, thanks in advance! I know I asked a lot of questions, but once again... I'm brand new, and while yes I did talk to a recruiter and asked most of these, and intend to talk to them again to ask some more, I'd like some input from a driver too. I'm wary of recruiters who may over promise, and then under deliver...

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1PhxSuperTrucker

1PhxSuperTrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where do you live megahurt5? I've only seen TWT'S trucks on the road, and they look to be well maintained. Other than that I don't know much else about them. My suggestion is to check out some other companies as well, and then pick the one you feel is going to be best for you.

4. megahurt5

megahurt5 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Northern California

5. ChuckyBoy

ChuckyBoy Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2014
    N. Calif - Central Valley
    TBonze Thanks this.
  6. michelle123

michelle123 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Please avoid this company. They do not care for the well-being, health, and safety of their drivers. The most selfish company I have ever witnessed. If you don't mind driving unsafe and unreliable trucks for long distances with little pay then you might be okay with settling with employment with TWT. You're safer with any other company.

7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Michelle123 is not a driver and has never been. Her father's truck caught fire from overheated brakes and he was terminated. Michelle123 has about 5 threads going on about this. Take what she says a very big grain of salt.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-with-this-company.319512/page-4#post-5340104

Rugerfan and Outcast99 Thank this.
  8. DZAT'HRÜL

DZAT'HRÜL Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2017
  9. DZAT'HRÜL

DZAT'HRÜL Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2017
    I am potentially heading for orientation in a few weeks, mindfulness is the key!

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.