How is Van freight with Mercer?

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by JrG, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JrG

JrG Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I was born and raised in Louisville and have been considering leasing on with Mercer. Currently, I reside in TX and have also been considering Landstar. Having no flat experience puts me at a disadvantage with Mercer, because that is the bulk of their business.

They're flat guys, that I've spoken with, are happy and understand this economy. I haven't run into any van drivers to ask them about that their experiences.

I want to earn a living, come home to Louisville to visit family & friends, then make it safely back to DFW.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. askbob

askbob Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Bluegrass
    Same here. I'm interested in how their van freight is doing?

4. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well I was there for almost 6 years (5 with a flatbed)... forget the van division. they only had one big account when i was there in '07...Northern Tool... and I ran between warehouses (MN to SC)... some store deliveries and supplier pick-ups along the way.

But they are terrible at getting you any kind of load if you are out of their very limited running area...MN to SC to TX/FL. Lots of deadhead mile which you aren't usually paid for.

The pay was just OK... maybe $1.30 per mile + FSC.. You need your own trailer..53'.

5. MercerDriver

MercerDriver Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    If you want to haul van loads, Landstar is a better choice. But then again, grab a flatbed and you can almost find freight going into TX. Coming out of there... well, that's a different story.....

6. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How is the Houston office doing for freight? Made a good living hauling for him... and Ivan in FL.

7. MercerDriver

MercerDriver Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA

I know there's an Ivan in the Albany, GA office. Does alot of military stuff from the Marine Corps Logistics base there. Might be the same Ivan. Houston is slow every time I was in TX, had a somewhat tough time getting out of there.

8. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

ugh! No vans for me! I try a conestoga flat or even reefer with another carrier before I jumped in that hole.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.