How many windshields do you go through?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, May 30, 2020.

1. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Running the PNW and Canadian Rockies we budgeted for a set of windshields every late spring/early summer due to sandblasting because of road-sanding. We also figured on a broken window about every 2 years.

Shawn2130 and TravR1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I am super picky about my glass. If I get a star or a small crack that can be repaired then it's getting repaired as fast as I can have someone get to the truck and the same for a replacement. Damaged glass is one of my many pet peeves on the road. If the damage happens in the middle of my day I will arrange for a repair or replacement for when I stop.

Last October I had a freak incident on the north side of Amarillo when a reefer tore past me on Loop 335 and kicked up an 8' long 4x4 in the road and it took out my left side mirrors, my left door glass and cut a 6" long gouge in the sleeper. Glass went everywhere. I had to go to the local hospital to get glass removed from the side of my head and my arm as well as stitches in my left arm. Just a crazy night on the road.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    How many windshields do you go through?

None.
    I have never gone through a windshield.
    And I imagine it might hurt quite a bit.

I have had many replaced because rocks or other things have tried to go through.
    I say 'tried', but that would suggest that rocks have some kind of will - which they don't because they are as dumb as rocks. No brains at all.

G13Tomcat and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Even God hates rock haulers lol.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Can you confirm a crack is 12 inches DOT write you up? Two cracks that intersect is confusing unless they mean the crack reaches side to a different side.

G13Tomcat and bzinger Thank this.
  7. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    My biggest problem hasn't been with with the rock chips spreading into long cracks, it has been with the shop responding to those little chips.

Every time I go in the shop with a little chip they 'repair' it with a patch that is much larger than the chip.
    That patch obstructs my vision through the glass more than the chip ever did.
    All too often it is right in front of my view or in the view of a mirror, so it hurts more than helps.

Little chips that do not spread into large cracks are not the problem, but they treat it like it is the end of the world.
    I have two right now that have been there for a couple months, and have not spread out at all. And I know that next time in the shop, I will have more obscured sight when I get out.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  8. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Have had more super singles popped than windshields replaced. I would say I ended up sticking a new one every year.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My shop will replace it every write up, it just feels like I do it a lot. I wasnt sure if its a DOT thing or if I can glue it and keep rolling for a time and spare my company the expense.

10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I don't write it up. No request from me.
    They inspect it, and then 'fix' it with a patch.

DOT doesn't care about a 3/8 inch chip if there is no crack coming off it.

11. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    I have had great luck with these kits. From what a few DOT officers have told me a spider smaller than a silver dollar or a crack smaller than a dollar bill you are OK. I used to drive thru Lucerne Valley in California. It is called the gravel highway for a good reason. Most trucks do not have a good seal on the back and rock chips are weekly. No such thing as a safe distance. Rocks be flying like squirrels.

Drive safe and I would rather pay $10 to fix a chip than $250 for a CDL ticket. I can fight the company for payback later. Fix it quick and get the wheels rolling. Winter chips crack fast with the heat from the defrost inside fighting the cold air outside. Mine have cracked every time.

upload_2020-5-31_6-38-37.png

TravR1 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.