How much per mile to make a l/p work?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by DriftingTruckDriver, Jan 27, 2014.

1. DriftingTruckDriver

DriftingTruckDriver Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I'm sorry I could't find the thread with this in it. So if there is a thread with it thanks.

TransAm says they start at .84 cents. I hear Swifts average .96 cents.

I would assume .96 cents is the ideal? OR can you make it on .84 cents.
    Yes lots of factors I am sure of that but...more=better in this case?
    Newbie asking. Very curious.

I hear l/p bad bad bad...But I dug deeper and learned that if your not smart about your fuel, expenses and maintenance to reduce breakdown expense your screwed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    It costs over a dollar a mile to operate a truck.

4. DriftingTruckDriver

Jan 4, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
  5. tobie town trucker

tobie town trucker Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    My costs are $1.09 a mile without paying myself

BORNtoROAM Thanks this.
  6. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    If your drive 1,000 miles per week at $1.25 that's $1,250 per week. You have $100 in maintenance and $800 in fuel and $250 in fixed costs for a total of $1,150 per week. That boils down to $1.08 per mile to run your truck

If you drive 3,000 miles per week at $1.25 that's $3,750 per week. You have $300 in maintenance and $2,400 in fuel and $250 in fixed costs for a total of $2,950 per week. That boils down to $1.01 per mile to run your truck. A gain of $.07 cents per mile.

There are a lot more figures you can throw in there but the basic principle is the same.

7. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    There's no set answer to that, same as no set answer to how much you need to make if you have your own authority, or lease a truck you own onto a company. rodknocker is correct, it costs over $1 a mile to operate a truck and most of that is fuel. You have to account for future maint costs, fixed costs like tags/insur/etc, and build up a reserve for breakdowns.

Which L/P you get into will determine what you need to make. Some companies cover some things on top of what your base pay rate+fcs, others cover other things. Before making any decisions on buying or leasing a truck you need to understand exactly what goes into operating one and get experience driving like you're paying for every dime of its operating costs. IMO the best way to do both is with someone else's truck. Let them pay you to learn. You can fail no matter who you buy/lease from but you can give yourself a much better chance of succeeding if you learn the business side before you ever take that last step.

DriftingTruckDriver Thanks this.
  8. DriftingTruckDriver

Jan 4, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
    wow...its starting to make sense. SO, say I buy a truck but no l/p, and work for a company like landstar who pays % and has a load board to pick my loads to have the real o/o experience?

9. DriftingTruckDriver

Jan 4, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Keith and Rod, thank you. I am learning more and more. I start school in Feb/March and I do plan on being a company driver. It only makes sense to learn for a few years as a company driver. And take it as if I own the truck and learn as much as I can and see if it is something I would want to consider doing.

10. MBunt387

MBunt387 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Your Moms house
    Get some time behind the wheel first brochacho. Taking on a lease or a truck payment is not as easy as you'd think. Best thing you can do is run a company truck like it was your own. Just keep track of fuel amounts, tolls, all expenses. Figure out what your truck payment would be as well. Then take the mileage you're running and then do the math. Most of the time you'll see that you'd make more money as a company driver rather than a lease op. Put $100 a week away for that year and you'll have your down payment on a cheap truck that you can start off in. Just my .02

11. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    How about you learn how to keep the truck between the lines before you try to run a business. It well help you in the long run.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.