How much waiting time is too much?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 21, 2021.

1. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yes, paid by the hour and being incompetent too, where do I get a gig like that? For those die hard "lifestyle" truckers out there, this shouldn't be a big deal, after all, people do get used to being treated like dirt and being taken advantage off at some point in the great OTR adventure, or they park it and walk. This is why there is a driver shortage, as lots of people have concluded that the sacrifice is just not worth it. As I've said in my previous posts, I can only tolerate it for about 4 months and then I have to park it and walk away. Oh sure, you can shrug off one bad experience, but it's just not one you will have, it's many and it cumulatively wears you down. As a profession I know that doctors only live to the mid 50's or so, going from hearing that on a podcast, but I wonder how long truckers live, on average?

You figure the stress of the job, which is the shipper, consignee, safety dept, DM, motoring public, DOT, in truck cameras, etc. Bad food choices, sedentary lifestyle and other things, it's got to be low.

Canadianhauler21 and nredfor88 Thank this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Nah just used that time to catch some sleep.

5. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    How long? 2-4 hours is typical. But a 6-8 hour happens about once every other week. Couple tymes a quarter maybe 8-12 hour wait.

If one can be flexible, it's basically getting paid to take break time at the shipper.

Places that make drivers watch for a green light need to get with the program, telling driver watch for green light and then taking anything over 2 hours, imo, no bueno.

6. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    Ya’ll didn’t know you were signing up to be a professional waiter, did ya? I’m usually in and out within a few hours, but recently was stuck at Target DC in Cedar Falls IA 8 hours. I did get some decent detention out of the deal though. Several years ago, I waited at Kroger in Salem, VA for 3 days. I had another stop after them, too. That was a huge screwed up deal.

7. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    All depends on customer,,but grocer warehouses tended to be tardy.
    If you not getting paid for every minute move on,,unless you a volunteer.

Canadianhauler21 and 48Packard Thank this.
  8. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Your time is worth nothing to your company if they pay you by the mile.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  9. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Reefing pays way more, and requires more patience and risk.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    My longest ever wait was partly my fault I'd parked at a warehouse in Elizabeth NJ got boxed in and was unable to get onto the dock when I finally did get a dock allocation I was so peeved off that I insisted on unloading the whole truck on my own about 22 pallets of apples from Wenatchee WA due to the long journey they were quite out of shape so it took me forever, all up I think it was 5 hours total. On average its between 1 - 2 hours at most I had about 95 % refrigerated freight.

Speed_Drums and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  11. WorldAtlas

WorldAtlas Bobtail Member

May 23, 2021
    Hi Canadian,
    I have been running dry van for past two years and love the hour or less average. Sometimes I think about going back to reefer till I remember all the 0300 appts and the 3-4 hour average load times.

That was my experience anyway, if four hours is you worst yet, that is not too bad in reefer imo. The meat plants are the worst. I have maxed out detention many times at Tyson and JBS.

Silver lining is you get to catch up on all the new Netflix shows lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.