How to go local (without experience)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Oct 8, 2012.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I read a lot of threads on the myths of needing OTR or putting in your "dues" before being eligible for a local driving job. Oddly enough, some of this is coming from student drivers that are still in school to get their CDL. While I am sure most companies prefer drivers with experience, it would be quite a stretch... If not, a downright lie to claim that experience is a prerequisite for all local carriers. I do not see us LTL drivers as above anyone else. As a matter of fact, I admire the OTR drivers for their strength and ability to be away from their loved ones for weeks at a time.

I for one have no OTR experience. I got done with CDL school and quickly learned that I have no OTR carrier terminals near me. The closest one is 80 miles away. Then there were a few others that my school was pushing, but they were even further away that I kept hearing bad stuff about, so I decided not to even turn in an application. I won't bring up names.

Here is my quick story:

I was at my old job one day, and after deciding to take a break from my usual game of Bubble Shooter, I got on Craig's List to check out some job listings under the Transport section. Sure enough, top of the page, THREE separate entries from a local carrier. Two for P&D drivers, one for a linehaul driver. I filled out the application and two weeks later I got a call from the terminal manager asking me for an interview. I said "sure, whenever?" To which he replied "how about today? Maybe in 30 minutes"? Honesty is the key. Don't embellish, and definitely do NOT lie. I flat out said that I just got my CDL, and have no DOT driving experience. So he pretty much told me that I will go ahead and do a test drive and we would go from there. Things went well, and I was asked when I could start.

Getting a local job can be a challenge. It does revolve a lot around where you live, the local economy, and the pool of available drivers. Sure, a lot of it is good timing, and nothing is guaranteed. If you are dead set on not wanting OTR but still can't get your foot in the door as a local driver, apply as a dockworker. Yeah, the pay is not as good, but you will be home every night. You may even pick up a few driving shifts when someone is sick or on vacation.

We currently have a nightshift dockworker that is getting his CDL with our equipment. Not only does he already have his permit, but we just started pairing him up with an experienced driver to start running routes to practice for his state exam. He will be getting an automatic pay raise for holding a CDL and he is getting groomed to be a driver when another driver is going to retire.

Companies are more likely to promote from within for these reasons:

1. They already have you and your employee info on file
    2. You already have an understanding of how they "do business"
    3. They already know how you work, and are more likely to be trusted than taking a shot at a new hire.
    4. You have already developed skills with that company that they can utilize (running certain equipment)

The key to getting a local job is looking. Then start asking around "are you hiring drivers"? Look at other local P&D drivers and ask them if their company is looking for drivers. I did that with another competing company just for kicks and giggles, and sure enough I got "Ummmmm, yeah, as a matter of fact, our guy Bob is leaving in December, but we won't advertise the position for another two weeks fron what I heard"

Here is a fact: If you put in applications to a few OTR carriers, and that same application to a few local carriers, you will probably hear back from the OTR carriers first. However (and this is indisputably FACTUAL), if you choose to be discouraged, and decide not to put in an application to a local carrier, your chances of landing a local job are ABSOLUTE zero. Worse case scenario, you won't hear back, or get a friendly rejection letter/email stating that the position has already been filled. It wont hurt to ask around. Do not be discouraged by some of the stuff people post on here about needing experience doing OTR... It simply is just not true!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    all that you said is true
    but if the cdl mills train say 20000 new drivers a year
    how many realistically can get that local job with no experience
    glad you fund a job you wangod luck to you

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Good question. Another question that I would like the answer to is how many of those new drivers will quit the industry by the end of their first year. Nothing is guaranteed.

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    75% quit in the first 6 months.

After a year,

maybe 10% - 15% are still in the industry.....

6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Prolly not accurate... But it sounds realistic. I would love to hear from the admins of this site and see how many newbies opened up an account all excited about getting a start with _______ trucking company, followed by 15 stoked posts of excitement... To be followed by "account inactivity since XX-XX-20XX"

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  7. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    And then you have that other segment of drivers, like myself, who drive mostly local, who can't wait to get out of it because of the nature of the metropolitan area we reside in where the driving is mostly slow stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic. It's all in the preference of the driver but you give some great and truthful information. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.

8. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I never drove OTR either. I got on with CWF right after I got my license. They have an apprentice school which I didnt have to pay for since I had a CDL with all endorsements already. ABF has the school too which is tough to get into and YRC from what Ive heard is looking into it. Only a handful of guys at YRC drove OTR, majority of them were always local.

YEs it is possible to be hired with little to none experience. When I applied to Estes they wanted two years and I only had 6 months... took them some time but they did call me and offered me a job but I was already at YRC. UPSF hired my friend with two months experience. Like Road Runner said all you have to do is ask and apply. A guy from ABF was always telling me come to his terminal they will hire me, although ABF i hear is better, YRC is a lot closer to me and its the same benefits, pay etc.

Some OTR companies you can make decent money with. It all depends on what you do, just dont go for those mega carriers who will train you. Got a friend who worked for a decent company and was making more then I am now... He only gave it up because he returned to shcool, but now is looking for local work which he will have a hard time finding, wont say why because I dont want to disrespect him

9. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I love OTR if I'm home every 5 to 7 days and I'm making at least 1200+ a week. I even prefer it to line haul which is what I currently do. Those jobs are far and few where I live now.

10. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    5-7 days and a few days home... actually isnt too bad, but Id rather own my own truck for that. I would feel weird sleeping in a truck used by whoever if theres slip seating. Ive seen some gigs that do 7 on, 7 off, that wouldnt be bad either

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That does sound like a good gig. Regional wouldn't be too bad with set routes. What I don't understand is how a carrier can subject their drivers to be out for weeks and weeks at a time, compensate them less per mile than LTL, give them the crappiest benefits, and then they "earn" a whooping one day off for every six days out to spend with their families. I am sure some single guys don't mind it. But you have to compensate your people right. If my travel agents screws up on something, and I am stuck at a terminal waiting on trailers, I make $16 an hour for the inconvenience. How much does our OTR counterpart make when they are stuck at a customer site and can not get unloaded for half a day?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.