How to go local (without experience)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    There are good Regional and OTR companies out there... just have to do homework and research. Those would be a bit harder to get on with though but usually those good companies are hard to get on with as thr turnover rate is low

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Why does it matter? No one is saying that local work with no experience is likely. Only that its possible. One is more than none.

4. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    It wouldn't really matter since inactivity does not mean someone quit driving. Plenty probably have though, but it wouldn't give you any sort of real idea about anything.

5. KateL

KateL Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Clovis, New Mexico
    The last statistics I saw were something like 88% drop out rate for "national" OTR, about 20% for Regional OTR, and 7% for Local (home every night). The reasons are obvious.

Seeing the country can get pretty old after a few months, I guess.

6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    it is possble that I become a rocket scientist. likely?

these newbies do need to have realistic expectations

7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I just got an email notification from CareerBuilder. Sure enough, my terminal sent out an ad with two P&D driver positions that need to be filled. Requirements: 1 year of driving experience OR recent graduate from a company approved CDL school. I keep saying this.. and I will say it again. Look around and then ask around. There is nothing unrealistic about getting local work right off the start.

8. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    So you think they should have realistic expectations. And you think the best way to do that is to lie to them. You'll have to excuse me if I think that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

ACH1130 Thanks this.
  9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    LTL is just like any other category in the transportation sector. Just like the longhaul sector, we have folks that been there since the 70's, 80's, and 90's... And they are gonna retire here within the next few years. We need bodies to keep the freight moving. As I said on my last post, we have two openings for local drivers and we either require school or a year of experience. There is nothing untruthful about that.

10. CastingMyFateToTheWind

CastingMyFateToTheWind Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012

RR, may I ask what geographical region you are boasting about? I would like to apply at your company. I am losing my least soon after the new year, and I don't give much of a #&#$ where I live--though I prefer it not be the northeast. Thanky.

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    South Western Montana. (Butte/Bozeman area on the I-90 corridor)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.