How to go local (without experience)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Oct 8, 2012.

1. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Now I think we're saying the same the thing. Local work is possible. Its not likely, its not probable. But it isn't impossible either.

That being said, here is the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. I never did OTR because I never had to. And as unlikely as it may be to find local work with no experience, I am quite certain of one thing. If for some strange reason, all of my previous experience were to wiped out tomorrow and I had to essentially start over in trucking with no applicable experience, I would find local work straight out of the gate again. It might take me a while and I probably wouldn't care for the first job very much at all. But I'd do it again guaranteed. Lest transam pete or anyone else get upset at this statement I will clarify it by saying the previous statement is completely reflection of my own drive, determination, interview skills and previous work career experience. Even though it shouldn't count for anything, you would be surprised at how often being able to say I flew multi million dollar aircraft for a living sends the message to the interviewer that I am an above average applicant who can be trusted not to screw up the the job or the equipment.

IOW, no students should take my previous statement that I've done it before and could do it again if I had to as a claim that they themselves should expect similar results. In fact, the probably shouldn't.

I'll even go one further and say that getting local work with no experience is possible but is largely dependent on the individual in question. If you're not above average in your life skills interview skills and non-trucking background, the already low chances are going to be even lower for you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i think we were always on the same page really just came at it from oppisite ends
    i wanted to be otr anyway but my kids are grown and wife comes out sometimes
    i go home for 3 days and am ready to go back out in 2

4. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Aww man...that's rough...hope things start looking up for ya.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  5. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    keep applying! do not stop dropping applications at every place where you see a fleet of daycabs. Sooner or later your luck will turn. Its not so much experience rather the fact that that average driver wants to be home and out of the cab at nite or after 1-2 days. Fewer poeple today are wanting to put up with the OTR lifestyle living out of a suitcase so most companies have plenty of Apps. on hand.

6. fuel80

fuel80 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Im looking for local work and I keep getting "I cant touch you with out experience", Ive driven semi trucks for the army for 5 years, flat bed experience, and I went and got my CDL at a truck driving school to learn how to operate civilian version tractor trailer. My school was full of felons and drug addicts and they are getting hired. I cant belive military service doesnt matter and so far trucking industry has been a huge disapoinment. Even my instructors looked liked drug addicts.

7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Actually... I was in the exact same boat as you. I got out this September as an Air Force 2T1 (Army 88M). I had no DOT driving experience. I still landed a local job after I told my terminal manager that I don't have DOT experience. A lot of it is based on how your resume looks. I am sure TAPS covered that when you got out. Lemme know if you need any pointers or help.

8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    The whole 1 year or 2 year experience thing has a lot to to with insurance. Local companies usually pay higher wages and lower insurance premiums. They don't want to pay high wages and a ton to insure a rookie if they can avoid it. Sometimes they get hard-pressed enough though for help. My current company hired me with 9 months experience where as they usually require 1 yr. they flat out told me the insurance company is the biggest reason for that.

9. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I agree to a point with the OP, but I also think that he paints a pretty picture.

Yes, I agree that there are jobs out there that dont require OTR, but they are very few and far between.

I live in the DFW area and the gas industry is "booming" here. I have heard quite a few people say they are hiring with no driving experience. I talked to all of the companies that I could find and that wasnt the case. They wanted a year or more experience.

I went to Stevens school and was OTR for 8 months when I landed a job that I have been trying for for about 2 years. I am now averaging about $1,000-$1,200 a week and home most nights. I feel extremely fortunate to be employed where I'm at and unless thing take a drastic change, I plan on retiring here.

With 8 months experience I turned down a job at Averitt because I applied for a regional position (west) but the job they offered me was east. I was going to take my physical/drug screen for a local Schneider position when my current employer called to offer me the job. In otherwords I turned down 2 jobs and landed one all with less than a year experience.

Like the OP said, while few and far between there are companies that dont require experience or need very little experience. You just have to knock on doors and find them.

10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Again... It is all dependant on where you live. We have two vacant local driver positions that have yet to be filled. It's been open for two months. One year of driving experience, OR recent graduate from a recognized school.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Home Base, Rental yards, etc...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.