Husband and wife team starting with R&L Carriers

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by IndianaMike, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jfred2

jfred2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    L.I, N.Y.
    How is R&L regarding weather shut downs? Do they usually take your word for it or try to push you out on the road? I know it's ultimately your decision, just asking. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IndianaMike

IndianaMike Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    This last winter was mild on our route really. We didn't really have any real severe driving. In 17 we had a major ice and snow storm. It shut down I40 in Tennessee. We didn't feel safe driving so we called and told them we were shutting down til roads cleared. He said no problem. Call when you get rolling again. We stayed overnight in our Memphis terminal and when the sun came up we left again. We were goid until I 65 in Ky. It was shutdown south of Elizabethtown at Cave City Rest area. We pulled in there and called again. Again they said call when you get rolling again. Every time the road opened a truck would jack knife and it would close again. We were there overnight and the road opened at sunrise. We called when we got going and made it to Louisville. Took us 36 hrs to go 540 miles. All of our solo linehaul called in sick and our Terminal manager said we were the only ones running. Even the P and D guys stayed home. The interstate was open so we took another load all the way to Dallas and back because the whole Dallas terminal called In because of the sleet. It was good roads there and back. But anyways if you don't feel safe theu don't force you to run.

jfred2 Thanks this.
  4. jfred2

jfred2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    L.I, N.Y.
    Okay, good to know. I appreciate the response, my wife and I are going to try to get on there once her contract is up here (5 months left). We're not too far from Newark, NJ and I see them hiring teams there every now and then.

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  5. Saddletramp2112

Saddletramp2112 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Illinois
    If you are going to run wild teams and one of the drivers in inexperienced and learning, will R&L give you a little more time to make your runs or more time in between your runs for rest?

6. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm not sure. Maybe call recruiting and ask them. I know we've had teams with one spouse inexperienced.

7. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    UPDATE
    We got another cost of living raise last week. Our run went up 21 dollars from 351 to 372 dollars each. That's 105 extra a week for each of us! Couldn't be happier. Also I've been seeing a lot of new team tractors. Looks like they're going back to Internationals. They're not green though. They are every color. Haven't seen inside one yet but hopefully will soon. We like our Peterbilt but there have been a lot of engine problems.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  8. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Paccar or Cummins?

9. Saddletramp2112

Feb 27, 2018
    Illinois
    Thanks for the fast reply Indiana Mike, any more words you can say about the overall treatment of husband and wife teams at R&L Carriers?

I am wondering the same thing about the new Internationals and Peterbuilts, hopefully it is the Cummins X-15 motor.

10. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    They've been good to us. The other teams run into are happy and stay a long time. But I only see 2 or 3 out here because if our turn and burn

11. Saddletramp2112

Feb 27, 2018
    Illinois
    Hear anything about how they treat people coming in and out of the Chicago and Milwaukee terminals? They sound like a solid company with a strong benefit package and a great place for husband and wife teams. My main concern is with my wife having no Road time and me having over a million miles, there will be a learning curve and I'm wondering if they will make considerations for us the first few weeks to get her sea legs.

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.