Husband and wife team starting with R&L Carriers

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by IndianaMike, Sep 13, 2014.

1. IndianaMike

IndianaMike Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    Check in this thread for Pam in MN I believe is her screen name. She was brand new and drives with her husband who was experienced .last I heard they were very happy.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    I haven't pm with her in a while. But just go back and find her posts on this thread. Try to pm her. BTW Its "Pam in MN" Also go to rlcdrivers. Com. Click the drop down for drivers and the all locations drop down. Then type team in keyword window. It will bring up team driver openings. for some reason team driver drop down brings back 0 results.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. Saddletramp2112

Saddletramp2112 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Illinois
    Ok thanks, I will look for Pam

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  5. Bass311

Bass311 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018
    TN/VA
    My wife and I are looking at teaming with R&L. I don't have my CDL yet, but will be starting school in a couple months. She's had her CDL for about a year and is working for a dedicated customer for a freight carrier, and has good OTR experience. I've been doing IT for the better part of 17 years, currently at about $94k with bonus, and it looks like I could come close to that with us teaming together + her matching salary...not to mention we get to be together 24/7 since we can't bear to be apart.

Thank you all who are currently working for R&L teaming husband/wife and posting all this great information. We are in Virginia and would looking at working out of Salem.

Is there any additional information any of you could share that would be helpful for starting with this company as a husband and wife team? Just looking for R&L specifics and not necessarily what it takes to start teaming in general - we've got a pretty good idea of the logistical side of being in a truck together for 5 days at time as far as food/supplies/etc.

Lioness77 Thanks this.
  6. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    You both will need all your CDL endorsements. Those are hazmat, doubles/triples, and tanker. IT MAY be a good idea for her to get on here solo while you get your cdl. Do not lie on your application. They do run an extensive background check. Felonies will disqualify you. My tips for teaming are to always try and get along. It will be very stressful af times. Sometimes you just need to close the curtain and do your own thing in the sleeper while the other is driving. Since we are home daily which is rare here we take enough clothes prepared meals and coffee for 2 days. Just in case we have a breakdown or delay where we can't swing by house More than likely you will only get home on weekend so you will need enough clothes food and water for the week. We always take a few extra outfits in case you need them. You will also need a shower bag and towels. Some of the truckstop towels are thin or nasty. Also take disinfecting wipes to wipe down shower rooms. Pack all stuff in bins. You may have to switch trucks if yours breaks down . We can switch in 30 minutes if need be doing this. Try to bring only enough stuff that you will need. When we first started teaming we brought half the house. If you have to switch a truck on the side of the interstate it's nice just to grab 2 or 3 bins with lids and go. Remember less is more. Hope this helps.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  7. Pam in MN

Pam in MN Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Agree with everything! Especially the part about not bringing too much stuff. We did the same in the beginning. Lol. We learned quick to only bring the bare necessities.

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  8. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    Just checking in . Not much has changed. Still enjoying it here. Our cost of living raise in May makes for a nice check. I've included a pay settlement for myself . This is gross pay before deductions.

Attached Files:

9. Lioness77

Lioness77 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2018
    So this is 5 days a week, no touch freight, husband and wife teaming?

How often are you both home? How are you treated as drivers with this company?

Thanks!

10. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes its 5 days with 2 days off. We are husband wife. We leave Monday night at midnight and get back each day about 8pm. We meet a solo driver in Benton AR and head back to Louisville KY. All drop hook. Do have to put lead pup in door when we get back. And have to break the set.She gets paid the same as me . I get 372 down and she gets 372 back. We have a bid run . We are the only team out of Louisville. Not all teams have bid runs. Some run all over all week but still get 2 days off after 5.

11. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.